Reseller upgrades: Post who has it

Well, surprise surprise, CompUSA in West Nyack NY did NOT have it, nor does anyone else within a 40 min drive of my house, as far as I know. A very disappointing day, factored in with work. They claim it "might" be in late next week, not a very good showing for Apple in this part of NY, IMHO.

Needless to say I'll be uninstalling OS X tonight, very disappointing as the performance of OS X on the iBook, even with a reasonable amount of memory is, sub par IMHO making OS 10.1 a virtual requirement.

How is the energy management in 10.1 anyway?

-Drew

I ventured from my work up the coast and across inland today to find somewhere that had it. If anyone knows of anywhere in SoCal please let us know. The Apple Store in Glendale is supposed to get more in on Monday and the girl there said I was the first person on the waiting list. I called there around 3:30 and they had 40 copies left and by the time I got there at 4:20 they were all gone.

The (only) Circuit City store in Bryan/College Station said they don't have the CD's and don't know when they will be getting them. Phat chance.

For those in KC, I'll be talking to Staples and CompUSA when I get up (which will be EARLY) ;). Might be easier than upgrading from a disk image.

The Apple Store in Tyson's Corner was out of the upgrades at about 3 PM this afternoon (damn you, trip to the Dukes of Hazzard museum! ;) ). They said there'd be more in on Monday morning at around opening time (of course, at that very moment I'll be at the MCI Center getting Michael Jordan tickets, so I think I'm outta luck then too). Anyone in the DC area wanna pick me up a copy on Monday morning? ;)

I signed up on the waiting list; I think I was around #70 on there (I'm hoping that's how they're deciding how many copies they'll be getting on Monday).

I'm located in an area that has a relatively small Mac community, (Salt Lake City Metro), and there was plenty of copies at the local Comp USA stores when I picked up my copy today. They just handed it to me without any proof of ownership, so if anyone is really desperate, I'm certain I could pick up a number of copies and ship them out for cost of shipping plus a little for my gas and time. Post if anyone is interested.

My earlier thread about Staples in Harvard Sq., Cambridge was a lie. They had X, but not 10.1. I also checked the CompUSA in Central Sq., Cambridge and they had a note on the door saying they were all sold out. Harvard Coop doesn't have them either.

However, I called University Computers in Kenmore Sq. next to the BU Barnes and Nobles (boy we have a lot of squares in Boston), and they said they are expecting some by the end of next week. Keep in mind you have to be a student to go there.

I called my parents who live about 220 miles away to see if their CompUSA Express had copies. It did. Serendipitously, a friend of the family was just about to leave their house and come back to where I live! Three and one half hours later, I had the upgrade in my hands. 10.1 is quite impressive. Apple's distribution process completely stinks.

On a scale of 1-10, the upgrade gets an 8.7 (would have been much higher if DVD playback for my Blue & White G3 were supported) and Apple's promise keeping on delivery and distribution gets a -20.

I made it on the list, not sure everyone else did... some people seemed to be in a daze... probably wondering if they should hang around for the shipment that never showed up. I was their at noon.

Oh well... life goes on.

Admin

Despite all the bad experiences I've had over the past several years with the CompUSA in Morrow, GA, I decided on a lark to go there today to see if they had the 10.1 Upgrade CD... much to my surprise and delight, they did! They did make me trot back to my house and haul out a proof of ownership of 10.0 (asked for either the coupon or the CD), but within 20 minutes I had it in my hot little hands!!!

I called AIS Computers in Fayetteville, who stated that they would have them available on Monday (since they're closed on Saturdays), but they suggested that I go to the store in Roswell. Roswell is too far away for me, but if anyone on the Metro Atlanta area is interested, these outlets appear to have copies available. I was sorry to read the post that stated that MicroCenter Mac Staff was AWOL... and that other options had to be exercised. They've usually been on the ball as far as I have experienced, so perhaps this was an unusual circumstance...

Go 10.1!!!

In the Triangle area of NC, it is possible to get your hands on a copy. I first tried CompUSA (in Raleigh), but the FedEx shipment was late! They should have it by Monday, but you can put your name and number on a contact list. I assume TenPlus (in Raleigh) will have it, but they are normally closed Saturdays, so you will have to wait until Monday. However, much to my surprise, Circuit City in Durham (near the South Square Mall) does indeed have the upgrade (I didn't even realise they sold Macs.) You don't even need proof of purchase. I walked in (in a last ditch effort) and grabbed a copy of the upgrade. The guy there actually knew that you needed Mac OSX to run the upgrade! Circuit City is the last place I would look for Mac software (in fact, it was they last place I looked), but all the rumors I read really paid off!

Cheers!

If you're in Boston, check out the CompUSAs.
(take the red T to Central in Cambridge, or take the 86 bus to Brighton)

I got my copy of 10.1 in the Brighton Store on Market Ave. today.
(Did I mention: IT ROCKS!!!)

Bring your update cupon - and take your OS 10.1 (+9.2) CD package home!

In our area (Scranton, PA [NE PA]) we have about two circuit cities that supply apple products check the apple site and se the list of resellers!! only two that are attainable by me are the first two. Circuit city says they are getting a shipment from apple on tuesday lets just hope!!!

PS - Steve please open a store in Scranton or Dickson City

Ok, KC users might have hope. CompUSA in Overland Park has NOT received their copies of the CDs, but as kcmac said, they will take reservations. So, don't give up! ;)

hey all,

good to see you're having fun getting 10.1. My nearest "proper" mac retailer here in sunny England is 30 miles away and by the time I had got to them they had run out. Darn!

I went into my local PC World (Our version of CompUSA) and spoke to a guy who after a couple of attempts remembered that he did have some but only enough to give away when you bought an iMac from them. I guess i could have reminded him that it was unlikely that their selling strategies would lead them to selling any iMac's within the next 10 years and so I might as well have one of the cd's 'cos it wouldn't be missed. Then again, that might not have been such a good idea :)

Does anyone have a carrier pigeon on which they can attach a copy of the cd as I would imagine that it would beat apple's distribution

phil quinney

--------------
Sawtooth G4 400
512MB Ram
10GB HD (Too small)

Midway iBook SE Firewire
320MB Ram
10GB HD

This is a repost of some info included in another thread:

usenet group: alt.binaries.mac.applications
poster: BobsYourUncle
date posted: 9.29.2001 between 2:34 and 5:34 pm
search for: theupgrade.img
# of parts: 43

I did not post this (honestly - I didn't even have my upgrade package until later yesterday) and I have no idea if it's complete, but it does seem to be legit from a spectator's view.

It's up to you to decide whether you want to get it from this source. I'm not advocating anything, just providing information that might be useful to someone out there.

oh how I would love to just surf over to an ftp server and download it. however, the burden on the server caused by my archaeic 56k modem would be silly.

its not fair, the only way to get fast internet in my area is a one hour bus journey to my dad's university

i guess its back to the carrier pigeon

phil.

I went to Fry's, CompUSA, and Staples, and none of the had the update CD. Fry's said that they got something, but it was wrong and they needed to return it. They were expecting the shipment sometime that day (Saturday). Fry's did have 10.1 full retail version on the shelves. There were at least 30 people on the list when I signed it at about 10:00 AM.

Then I went to CompUSA, and talked to them about it. The sales person that I talked to said he had no idea, and went to ask the manager. The manager said he was not informed when or even if they were going to get the CDs.

Staples had no idea if they were going to get it either.

So I still do not have it. I am going to check with CompUSA and then Fry's on Monday.

One advantage with all of this is that they (the store workers) are swapped with loyal mac users and get to see in full force the Mac community. While XP may have 100 people in line to get it on it's release date, it will seem to be an equal sized force of people compared to the mac users. After all, every person that uses 10.0 wanted to get a copy of the update CD yesterday, and not every PC user is going to want to upgrade to XP so quickly.

So for all of those PC users that think the Mac is dead, think different.

Back