Resetting Preferences

Kona

Registered
Everytime I restart OSX I find most of my preferences have been reset. This includes my dock returning to default, icon sizes, itune pref, and mail accounts. Has any one seen this before? Could it be a virus or do I just need to reinstall Jaguar? The only other related problem I can see is iTunes often has an error says that it cannot save the iTunes library. Any thought? Thanks

Weird. Do you save the changed settings?

Did you just install jaguar? does that happen since you installed it? or it has changed after some time? how long has this thing been happening? if you installed it newly, i guess installing it again will solve it but .. there needs to be another way as well ...

To expand slightly on Giaguara's second comment; Jaguar has new permissions settings than 10.1 so if you used the upgrade option rather than the clean install, you will also have to run the "Repair Permissions" utility on the Jag CD.

Ive been using jaguar for about a month now and this started happening. Also I believe I just updated so I guess I should try this repair permission tool. Just a side question, if I were to reinstall jaguar would this format my harddrive? If I cant get anything to work Ill just reinstall, but Id rather not lose all my programs. Thanks

you can decide to save all your files = archive and install.

you dont have to lose yuor programs. doing that archive thing, your programs and files will stay. but probably i'd still suggest a clean install. can you save all your files and programs to cds??for most programs it's just enough to copy them as folders and drag back; some have other files in other filders (library/ application support / that program / etc ) - but even doing the clean install, you can save all. address book, bookmarks, browsers preferecences files etc, and of course all your files you need. doing that you'll have a backup of everything as well. i did it once - when i wanted to get rid of xdarwin and macgimp (kernel panics and no way to uninstall them = lacking uninstall info)

don't clean install yet; maybe someone can point an easier way to fix it. repair associations.. i just don't forget where to find it!!! :)

I have had my preferences reset as well from time to time. I attribute it to HP's buggy, non-Jaguar compatible drivers. I hope it will go away with the long-*promised* updated drivers.

Back