Restarting the GUI

supanatral

Registered
I don't doubt that Mac is more stable then windows, however I have a hard time seeing it which may be due to my lack of experience with Apple computers compared to PC's. The thing I find most unstable is the GUI which brings me to my question. Is there a way to restart just the GUI? When I was using Fedora, I'd go into terminal and type init 3 and then init 5 which shuts down and then starts the GUI again but the command doesn't seem to work in Leopard. Any ideas there?

You're trying to use the same (drastic) measure for maybe a similar (but different) problem. Can you describe the symptoms of the problem you're seeing? What exactly _is_ unstable about the GUI? Screen flickering? Colour mishaps? Or is it rather an application acting up? (Then it's definitely not a wise idea to kill and restart the whole UI...)

It's easy to restart the Finder (that is the GUI application).

1. Download the free TinkerTool. There is a "Restart Finder"

2. Make an Apple Script to tell the Finder to restart.

3. Just hold down the "option" button and then click on the Finder icon in the Dock then select "Relaunch".

Well there are many different wierd things that happen. Like today when I tried to copy a file across my wireless network it came up with an error within the last two or so megs of the file transfer and when I clicked ok, the copy window just froze there and I had to restart finder. Then, Exposé just gave up on me and I had to restart Dock. Other times things will just kind of hiccup a bit then the icons disappear from my desktop because Finder just quit however Finder isn't being relaunched. The weirdest thing about these problems are that I had the same problems even when I had Tiger both before and after my laptop was replaced entirely under warranty. And now I have Leopard on my notebook which was a fresh install.

Back