Restoring a 3rd Gen iPod by itself?

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
I have no idea where my instruction booklet is, as the iPod is two years old now. I pretty much gave it to my sister, so I wasn't around when it stopped working. Right now, all it does when connected, either by itself or on the dock, is recharge. I can't get it to mount or anything. Tried the basic reseting and all that, even got a new cable in case the other one was bad. Still nothing. I guess my only option left is to restore it, but I can't use the iPod software because the computer won't detect it. So I need to know how to restore the iPod on its own.

It's a third gen iPod. (Separate scroll wheel, four heat-sense buttons)

lol, 45 people don't know? Seriously, there is a way to restore an iPod to factory defaults with no additional software, right? Else, I don't know what to do. It won't mount or be detected at all.

If it wont mount, I don't know if you can format/restore it. All the utilities to do so are on the computer, I believe.

Yep -- it's impossible for a device to format itself (just like your computer -- you cannot format the hard drive where Mac OS X is installed while booted from that very same disk).

The only way to correctly format/wipe the iPod is to use the iPod Software Updater and choose the "Restore" option.

So basically it is hopeless, I figured you wouldn't be able to do that. Blah I hate it when computer stuff stops working for no reason. I guess I could see if my Apple store could repair it, but it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new one x_x

Stinz12 said:
There is a key combo on your ipod that will force your ipod into disk mode, idk know it though so just go to the apple website and check it out.
Thats the diagnostic mode (or something like that), you will not be able to format. Never used it, but I believe it's back and center button after a restart held together. Reformatting from the disk will not work, you need another disk or drive to "hold" the formating program.

"Restoring" the iPod and "reformatting" the iPod are virtually the same thing: they both completely wipe out the contents of the iPod. Either way, it's impossible to "restore" or "reformat" the iPod without some other kind of device (like a computer to connect it to) -- you cannot restore nor reformat the iPod using only the iPod.

There isn't any reason to be snide like that, man.

Back