Restricted Visibility For Mounted Diskimages

zaggle

Registered
Hi

if I create (with DiskUtility say) and mount a DiskImage, it is visible to all users. Since one of the primary use cases is to make an encrypted DiskImage to protect information, this seems an extraordinarily poor situation.

Is there a way to restrict visibility to just the mounting user ?

To work around it, I tried to change the permissions on the files inside the DiskImage
(chmod -R g-rwx,o-rwx) but this simply does nothing with no error and does not change
the permissions.

thanks
Zag

... Since one of the primary use cases is to make an encrypted DiskImage to protect information, this seems an extraordinarily poor situation.

How is this "extraordinarily poor"? If the image cannot be opened, then it cannot be seen by unwanted eyes. If it can be opened, then you have the security problem of physical access.

How is this "extraordinarily poor"? If the image cannot be opened, then it cannot be seen by unwanted eyes. If it can be opened, then you have the security problem of physical access.

It is poor because if I mount the image contents are visible to all users on that host (which might be a multi user machine).

Back