Rhapsody

StarBuck

Registered
First of all I would like to thank Biff, JohnnyV and RacerX for your help and also in finding the old images. I have enclosed a pic of DR1 DR2 and Openstep 4.2 all running under VPC 5.02 under MAC OS X 10.1.3 running on a DP 1 Gig G4 with 1 Gig of ram.

I will post some more screenshots this weekend

Attachments

• new pic.jpg
    new pic.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 159
I still haven't been able to get DR1 to work. Is there much difference between DR1 and DR2?

DR1 looks more like Openstep, DR2 is more like MacOS X Server 1. I did have a big problem getting DR1 to work I ended up installing it three times. Whatever you do not setup the network settings. As this just locks it up on startup. It must have something to do with the network card support under DR1 as DR2 works with no problems if you select the default setup.

After all of this I now want to get my hands on a second-hand laptop to run DR2 RacerX can you run DR2 on a PIII or does it have to be a PII?

Thanks again

StarBuck

Originally posted by Biff
I still haven't been able to get DR1 to work. Is there much difference between DR1 and DR2?

DR1 was sort of OPENSTEP with a Mac theme to it. It still used the NeXT root directories, and didn't have an applications menu. Most of the apps that worked on DR1 had to be rewritten for DR2 if the used the directory structure for anything.

Originally posted by StarBuck
After all of this I now want to get my hands on a second-hand laptop to run DR2 RacerX can you run DR2 on a PIII or does it have to be a PII?

I don't think there are any problems running it on a PIII (though I am thinking about replacing my Dual Pentium 133 system with a PII/400 because Rhapsody doesn't see the second processor... I may put Solaris on that system later). As for my choice of Laptops, I didn't want to end up with a system I couldn't use (a fast system that only runs Windows is the same thing as having a paper weight in my home), so I went with a system I knew would run Rhapsody... the ThinkPad 760ED. It may only be a Pentium 133, but with 80 MB of RAM and a 1024x768 display it runs pretty good. The only problem I have with it is that there are no drivers for the sound on that system (making for silent quicktime movies :( ).

I can't imagine any system not working as long as you have the right video/sound/networking cards. And most of those you can find on ebay. Once you have it on real hardware, have some apps, and have a way of getting things onto and off of your system (for me that has been FTP and CDs), it really is a great OS.

To keep this thread alive, and to honor the release of the new Star Wars trailer, here is a screen shot. :D

PS
This system has been up and running for 125 days now.

Attachments

• rhap-clone.jpg
    rhap-clone.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 101
RacerX will DR2 install on a AMD UMAX laptop?

Also the screenshot of OS X Server was that for the x86 or PPC?

All my shots are of the x86 version of Rhapsody 5.1, though I have some of the interface parts that Apple included in the PPC version of 5.3 (Mac OS X Server 1.0). I plan on getting a PPC system to run 5.1 so I can use the demo of Helios EtherShare and Quake II (both of which are PPC only) and a ton of other software that was never released for the x86 version.

Honestly, the processor is most likely not going to be the primary problem when looking at systems (specially laptops), it is most likely going to be the video drivers. Apple wasn't really thinking about these as operating systems for laptops, and the fact that they do work is mainly because the people making them wanted to be able to take it with them on systems that they already had. To date, the only systems that I know of that can run any version of 5.1 are the IBM ThinkPad 760ED, the PowerBook 3400 and the PowerBook 2400 (and rumor that the first PowerBook G3s based on the 3400 design also works). Beyond that short list, I really don't know for sure.

I have been considering an upgrade myself lately. My ThinkPad is only running a Pentium 133, so the 2400 with a 603ev at 180 would be a nice jump in speed. The only problem is that I have come to like having the 1024x768 display, and the 3400/2400 series systems only have 800x600 displays. The PowerBook G3s (Wall Street) with the 14" displays are 1024x768, but then I would need to get a copy of Mac OS X Server 1.0 because Rhapsody 5.1 wouldn't run on them (plus I would need to reconfigure the system for workstation duty, but I already know how to do that). Taking all that into account, my ThinkPad is starting to look really good again. It isn't that slow, and I think I would only consider upgrading if I was going to be doing wed design type stuff on it (like using Create 5 and TIFFany 3 as a major part of my regular apps).

Sorry I don't have more definite information for you. :(

Oh, and one of the first changes I make on most of my Rhapsody systems is the login panel, here is an example of what mine looks like.

Attachments

• osxserver-login.jpg
    osxserver-login.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 83
Sorry RacerX only just picked up the messages you left, I have been busy at work. But tonight I have set some time aside to install DR2 x86 on my umax laptop.

i will let you know how I get on.

Starbuck

Try not to create repeat threads. All froums get equal exposure. This thread is going to stay up since it seems to be a little popular, and apperently I don't have permission to merge threads.:rolleyes:

Nice shots.:)

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Try not to create repeat threads. All froums get equal exposure. This thread is going to stay up since it seems to be a little popular, and apperently I don't have permission to merge threads.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure why we started a new one, other than we were getting off topic in the other one which was about Rhapsody in VPC. I rarely use Rhapsody in VPC, and right now we are talking about getting it up an running on real hardware. I was surprised that we got move to begin with, because once the VPC part of the discussion started to fall off, it stopped being a Mac OS X software issue.

I guess you could do what twyg did (move us somewhere else :rolleyes: ) if you feel we are cluttering up your section. Or as moderator, you could change the title of this thread to “Rhapsody on real hardware” so there can be no mistake as to which thread is about what.

Hmm. I'd rather just let you digital refugees sit tight for about, say, 10 years?;)

Funny thing it is, either there were two side by side threads called "rhapsody" by the same user, or I'm just hallucinating. Well, no damage done here, I'll have to go try harder in some other section of the forum.

BTW, check out the forums where I moderate. It's incredible, nothing is ever offtopic, no one ever posts copies of threads. This is the first modding I've had to do in about 3 months.:p

Sorry for the interuption. Carry on.

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Funny thing it is, either there were two side by side threads called "rhapsody" by the same user, or I'm just hallucinating. We'll, no damage done here, I'll have to go try harder in some other section of the forum.

I though the same thing until I notice that they had different accents (and their names are a little different, StarBuck and StarScream). ;)

You could join us! I'm just trying to keep this wonderful OS from disappearing. If you see someone asking questions about Mac OS X Server 1.x somewhere else on the site, send them this way. The more the merrier. :D

I downloaded the DR2 images off OS6 and installed on an HP Vectra VL7 without too much trouble. The main sticking point was thatit didn't like the full 3 gig drive. When I chopped it int two partitions everything installed OK. My main problem now is that I have no color. The machine has a Matrox MGA G-100 AGP card. The closest driver I saw was the MIL2A/4N Matrox Millenium II AGP 4MB, but it doesn't seem to do the trick, or at least I can't get color or change the resolution. IP isn't up either, but I have more faith in that.

The Umax died whilst installing the DR2 faulty hard disk awaiting a new hd should have it some time this week.

But I have been itching to install it.

I will let you know

Where would one find these Rhapsody images for x86? Were they something that shipped on a product disk or something? Or what? Were they opensourced?

Thanks.

I'm not sure where everyone else is getting their copies, but I have the original Rhapsody Developer Release 2 CDs (which included the last version of Rhapsody for Intel based systems, all future releases would be for PPC only). As you can tell by some of the post in this and the other Rhapsody for VPC thread, Rhapsody only comes with drivers for specific hardware. I bought all my hardware with this in mind (because I would have little reason to own a PC that wouldn't be able to run either Rhapsody or OPENSTEP).

As for the opensource question, no. OPENSTEP and Rhapsody (aka Mac OS X Server 1.x) were considered Enterprise solutions by Apple and cost more than your average operating systems because of it. OPENSTEP was $800, Mac OS X Server 1.x was $500 when they were still being shipped by Apple.

Back