Rhapsody

I got DR2 off a Carracho server named OS6.

I opened upi the VL7 and poked around. The on board video was a Cirruss Logic controller, which was just a bit too new for Rhapsody, and the Ethernet card was a weird PCnet based thing. I scrounged an Intel eepro and a Matrox Millenium (MGA2064W based) PCI video card. Just for laughs I also added an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card. Rhapsody detencted them all without problems. Now I have 8bit color at 640 x 480/60Hz. Not good, but it is only a 2 meg card. I'll need to look for a better card.

Now to install some software and secure the thing. I hope ssh compiles properly.

RacerX:

The version of OmniWeb I found on peak.org is an expired beta. Where can I get a license of a usable copy?

Perfect. Thanks.

What is the largest partition on which anyone here has successfully installed DR2? Mine balked at 3 gig and worked on 1.5.

Attachments

• rhapsody.jpg
    rhapsody.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 25
I have a 6 GB drive on my ThinkPad, it has about 3 GB left.

Attachments

• feynman-today.jpg
    feynman-today.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 23
Originally posted by svejk
Now I have 8bit color at 640 x 480/60Hz. Not good, but it is only a 2 meg card. I'll need to look for a better card.

Before looking for a new video card check out what drivers Apple has included here

Now to install some software and secure the thing. I hope ssh compiles properly.

You may want to do a search at StepWise to see if they have directions for compiling ssh on either Rhapsody or Mac OS X Server 1.x.

Originally posted by RacerX

Before looking for a new video card check out what drivers Apple has included here

True 'dat. I had already looked, although I wasn't really sure which 8 meg card was best.

You may want to do a search at StepWise to see if they have directions for compiling ssh on either Rhapsody or Mac OS X Server 1.x. [/B]

They have a page there for a Matrox G100/200 driver, but the link is dead. That is the driver Windows claims it uses for the VL7 and VLi8, although when I took the 7 apart it was a Cirrus chip.

Where can I turn off the rpc services listening on en0? When I did the install, I told it only run netinfo on lo0 (or so it seemed), but there are a couple of stray rpc ports and the portmapper. I'd like to get rid of them. I'm sure I have more questions, but I can't think of any right now.

Now we are getting past my area of experience. Some of the places you may want to look for answers are:

Tips for MacOSX, Darwin and WebObjects

and

Omni Developer Mailing lists

The mailing lists can be down loaded and viewed in either the MailViewer.app or TextEdit.app (I use TextEdit because the find works nicely and MailViewer seems to crash with these archives from time to time). You most likely are going to find what you need in the pre-2000 lists. And you might even find some things at Apple under Mac OS X Server 1.0 or 1.2. That is the nice thing about Rhapsody 5.1, it is the final version with only a handful of features missing. I have found that 95% of the things I have read for Mac OS X Server 1.x dealing with the operating system itself (not the suite of server apps or Blue Box) can be applied directly to Rhapsody 5.1. In the case of things about OPENSTEP 4.x, 50% can be of direct use if you know your way around Rhapsody and the differences between it and OPENSTEP (for Rhapsody 5.0, aka RDR1, the amount of useful OPENSTEP information jumps back up to almost 95%).

If you get really stuck (and a couple times I have) you may want to try asking some of the people who know the most about using this system: Andrew Stone, Scott Anguish or Eric Peyton. They seem nice enough, but I really try to exhaust all other options before e-mailing them.

Could somebody who managed to get DR1 working describe how they did, and if possible make the boot/driver disks available?

I've tried every single driver that mentions IDE with or without the AHA-154x driver, and with or without the standard IDE configuration checked, but I still get a kernel panic half way through the installation.

DR2 & OpenStep 4.2 went perfectly - first time for both!

Any help would be greatly appreiated - I've searched through all the Rhapsody posts, but they don't seem to help.

Thanks X. I think I might wipe my VLi8 (PII400/128 Matrox Millenium G200 AGP) and start over on that. Oddly, I think it has better hardware compatibility, assuming I can find that G200 driver.

I have a new addition to my Rhapsody family... a 7.5 lb PowerBook G3/266 named Milnor. Milnor is running Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2) and joins Feynman (an IBM ThinkPad) and Riemann (a Digital Celebris), both of whom are running Rhapsody 5.1.

:D

I wouldn't sell my ThinkPad even if someone offered twice current market value.

But I'll give you $10.00 for your first born ($5.00 if it's a girl though). ;)

Originally posted by RacerX
I wouldn't sell my ThinkPad even if someone offered twice current market value.

But I'll give you $10.00 for your first born ($5.00 if it's a girl though). ;)

five bucks for a first born ? :p too cheap ;)
playing devil;s advocate here ;)

The thinkpad might be a brick, but it sure looks cool :D

Hey racer I was thinking, if you were a CS major, you could create an OS that worked by clustering all your machines (Newton, Apples, SGI, PeeCees, Suns and so on) thus making a nice supercomputer ;)

Admiral

We could call it the RacerX SouperComputer!

CS, huh? :rolleyes:

That sounds kinda hard, I think I'll stick with mathematics.

Four hours after installing Mac OS X Server 1.2 on my PowerBook, here is my new desktop...

Attachments

• milnor-today.jpg
    milnor-today.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
Back