Rosetta/ Reason 3 help! New to OS X!

ShotgunSaint

Registered
So anyway, I ran OS9 for a long time but just got an intel mini last week. It supposedly came with OS 10.4.5, which has rosetta built in, but I can't find the option where it should be, namely under "Get Info" for specific applications. Rosetta does not seem to exist on my computer.
I've had no problem getting some software to work (StuffIt, ), but when I try to install Reason 3, it mounts the disk but seems to be showing me the windows partition.
I thought maybe my disc was flawed, since I'd only installed it on Windows XP before, but I've downloaded replacement disks and have the same problem.
What is going on here? Can anyone help?

Reason 3 is not a downloadable piece of software -- where exactly did you get your Reason 3 disks?

You can download a Reason 3 demo from Propellerhead, and try to install that, and if it works, that would point to something wrong with your install disk.

You can use Disk Utility to view all mountable volumes of a disk. That would help you find out if there is in fact a Macintosh partition to mount.

Rosetta is a system service, so the application itself would be somewhere like /System/Library/CoreServices or something. It's meant to run transparently. If you do a "Get Info" on a known Universal Binary application, there should be an option to "Open with Rosetta".

If the application is a Classic app then you're out of luck. Rosetta is a transparent environment that allows you to run OS X native apps that were compiled for PowerPC. It doesn't suppport Classic apps. You might have to look for an emulator that will run under OS X on an Intel Mac. I believe Sheepshaver might be able to help, but I haven't tried it since I'm using a PPC iMac. :(

There is no patch. Propellorhead does list that Reason will run equivilant to a G3 on a intel mac.

There is no option to "see" Rosetta. It just runs the software, there is no Rosetta installer or anything, if that's what you are looking for.

You should be able to stick the disc in and install it. If that isn't working, I would check the disc and make sure it's not damaged or scratched.

Did you install XP on your mac? I note you say it only sees the windows partition.....could be a factor to be aware of when kludging another OS on to the iMac.

He means the _Mac_ sees the Windows partition of the installation CD. Not that the installer sees the Windows partition of the Mac. So I guess it's not the problem that WinXP would've been installed. (And this wouldn't be a problem for this, anyway.)
Can you post a screenshot of the Finder showing the content of the disc? Maybe we can determine whether it's really something "Windowsy-fishy"...

Back