Roxio Popcorn

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
How good is this product? Does anyone know at all?

I recently discovered Roxio Popcorn completely by accident, i didn't even know they have a DVD-Ripping Program to compete with Dvd2oneX, FastDVDCopy, and all of them ::ha::

It works pretty well, but if you've got a 4.7GB VIDEO_TS folder, Popcorn still goes through the motions of compressing it (which it doesn't compress at all, since it's already 4.7GB) before burning it.

Also, the software's not _directly_ in competition with FastDVDCopy, since the latter has QUITE a few options Popcorn has not. But if you like Toast's interface and only need it to burn copies of friends' self-made DVDs, it's okay. If you want it for your own made DVDs, I'd rather just use iDVD to create/burn another copy. If you need backups of DVDs bought in the store, Popcorn's not for you, anyway. Be aware that some of the software that _does_ copy protected DVDs may be illegal in your country (copyright issues are very different across the globe in that aspect).

I installed tiger and popcorn crashes when I drag/select a video_ts folder. Don't buy it until this gets resolved!!!!!!

Popcorn is a great product. Been using it since it was release and I am absolutely pleasure with the results it produces.

Yes, it 'recompresses' single layer discs, but what it does it gets rid of all the adverts and copyright scenes. It keeps the subtitles and you can choose which languages you want to keep.

Five out of five product.

* You have to get the updated version for Tiger. (1.02)

I've been useing Popcorn since it came out. Great product- and no, in my experience it does not re compress files that will already fit on a single layer DVD unless you choose main movie only, just goes straight to burn like Toast does. There were issues with playback on some brands of players (jerky, stops and starts) but that seems to have been resolved with v1.02 along with tiger compatability.

sheffie said:
I installed tiger and popcorn crashes when I drag/select a video_ts folder. Don't buy it until this gets resolved!!!!!!

did get that solved?? please tell me how, the same thing happens to me.

flavio

Once I upgraded Popcorn to version 1.0.3--no earlier version will function properly if you have Tiger installed--I found the program useful and user friendly. Be aware that Popcorn will not copy DVDs that are copy-protected unless you use "ripping" software, such as Mac The Ripper, available as a free download. Also be aware that using ripping software could be in violation of copyright laws. With that said, even a newcomer to Macintosh like myself had little problem with Popcorn, once I had upgraded to the newest, Tiger-compatible version. If you buy Popcorn, be sure it is at least version 1.0.3, and don't let the vendor tell you you can update the program with a download patch, since this process can be problematic, although hardly impossible. Good luck!

If your VIDEO_TS folder causes Popcorn to crash, chances are you haven't updated Popcorn to version 1.0.3 to make it compatible with Tiger. If you download the Popcorn upgrade/patch for Tiger, make sure you have only the 1.0.3 version loaded on your hard drive. I had accidentally loaded versions 1.0.2 and 1.0.3, and kept on getting crashes until it occured to me to check the version I was using. My solution was this:
1. Download the 1.0.3 upgrade/patch to Popcorn and burn it to disk, along with the updater.
2. Trash your early version of Popcorn.
3. Reinstall Popcorn from your original disk
4. Install the 1.0.3 upgrade

Just to be on the safe side, reboot. That should take care of the problem. Best of luck!

Popcorn isn't a ripping program. If you want to copy a "protected" DVD,
you must first rip it with MacTheRipper. Then just drag the VIDEO_TS
folder that MTR created onto Popcorn's window and click the big red button.
My kind of app. It'll compress (as needed) and write to DVD while you're
out shopping -- all in one step. And for only $30 ($40 from buy.com plus
a $10 mail-in rebate).

And yes, folk, you need the 1.0.3 updater from Roxio for Tiger.

Back