Rumor: Apple will abandon G3 nd G4 users as of 10.4

Oh, I'm very special. (Not the kind of special that my parents work with, but special in my own regard.)

I wish this old 233 Mhz beige G3 were fast enough to run MOX. Then I could get around all those IE freezeups, disc problems, and everything. It would make it easier for me to troubleshoot MOX problems, too, because I wouldn't have to use my iMac for that.

Originally posted by RacerX
I think someone should replace the word "Rumor" with FUD in this post.

i put rumor in there to make it less like a fact and more like a discussion, sorry if i offended you :p

Originally posted by RacerX
I think someone should replace the word "Rumor" with FUD in this post.

Actually the word "TROLL" would be more apropo. You can't tell me that ANYONE actually places ANY truth in this, uh, "rumour". This is so far beyond reality that I'm amazed it has received the credibility that it has. Of course it has spawned this nice discussion about where Stevie lives and the names of cats, so I guess it isn't a total waste ;)

Nothing to see here, move along. Please don't feed the trolls.

Well, yeah, it would be pretty silly to drop support on the machines 1 year from now.

The Beige G3 and Wallstreets are getting dropped from OS X support, and it is curious... but they also had the last ROM/OpenFirmware that had the odd quirks in them (8GB limit for OS X partitions, etc).

It might have just been a move to simplify their support for exisiting systems. Plus it is fairly easy to support machines with OS X (CPU/Mobo kexts are used), so there isn't much reason not to... just let them know that it won't be able to do everything.

Well... Any machine capable of running 10.0 officially can be updated to 10.2.x afaik, so we're not talking about the need of staying waaaaaaay back. And imho, 10.2.6 is quite a viable operating system for many tasks - on an older machine, too.

Right: my GF is running it on my old iBook SE (G3@366MHz): working perfectly fine. Panther is said to improve overall speed, even on non QE macines, so I suppose it will run even better, and then 10.4 ... well, why shouldn't it run at least equal to 10.3? Btw, 10.4 will only com out in more than a year or so, it's not as if they would be dropping G3/G4 support tomorrow. First of all, they would leace the G3 behind in their currently shipping products: the iBook for instance. When the G3 has disappeared from shiping products, then I would slowly begin to worry that they might drop support sometime in the future ...

Apple still provides support for pre-G3 PPC machines, even if they don't Officially Support them with MOX and the like. Why would they drop support for the G3, much less the G4?

The th9ing you also have to realize is that people look at my PowerBook G3 (333mhz Bronze keyboard) running Jaguar and are like oh its a mac so it must be slow -I'm loike no it's the fact that I have a 4 year old machine ruinnig the newest software available. I have upgraded Ram and external hard drive - but it makes Macs look slow when if we took a 4 year old PC and put Win XP on it - it wouldn't even work - but yeah it could work fine woth Win 98 but my G3 would blow the water out of that if I had 8.6 running on it (even 9.2). But I have upgraded from 8.6 to 9.0 to 9.1 to 10.0 to 10.1 w/9.2 to 10.2 - thats a shitload of Oses in 4 years and they all work fine. So I guess what I;m trying to say is that I will but Panther 10.3 on this but I wouldn't want 10.4 on it - by that time I will buy a G5 PowerBook.

Originally posted by fryke
Well... Any machine capable of running 10.0 officially can be updated to 10.2.x afaik...

My 9500 will run up to 10.1.5, but I have to use XPostFacto to install it, and 10.2 doesn't work with it.

Originally posted by Captain Code
My 9500 will run up to 10.1.5, but I have to use XPostFacto to install it, and 10.2 doesn't work with it.

And my 8600 runs 10.2.6... mostly because Apple removed the ability for the kernel to boot properly with pre-G3 processors. But slap a G3/G4 upgrade in that thing, and it will run 10.2.x just fine.

The only catch is that Ryan is still looking at how to get 10.3 booting on these upgraded machines.

Originally posted by Krevinek
And my 8600 runs 10.2.6... mostly because Apple removed the ability for the kernel to boot properly with pre-G3 processors. But slap a G3/G4 upgrade in that thing, and it will run 10.2.x just fine.

The only catch is that Ryan is still looking at how to get 10.3 booting on these upgraded machines.

Well, yeah but if I'm going to upgrade a Mac it'd be my G4 400 :D

If abandoning the G3/G4 chips results in uber-fast G5 integration, then I have no problem with "abandoning" dead processors. My G3/G4 machines will always run as they are now, thru Panther at least. Presumably they will easily network to any G5/10.4 OS, so I really don't care if Apple doesn't write another line of code for them.

I hate to be rude, but if G3/G4 owners can't use 10.4, tough crap. Move on, or just live with the perfectly usable 10.3 or whatever. It's not like those machines suddenly explode or stop working when 10.4 comes out.

Why? Do you not understand what I'm saying when I call Mac OS X "MOX?"

We still have another year, following the current pattern, before 10.4 comes out. By that time, hopefully the G5 will have permeated the entire Apple lineup, but I highly doubt that the G4 will be left in the dust, though the G3 may be.

But now that IBM is developing a new strain of the G3 processor, one that is (or will become) better on in most aspects then the current G4's, I think they will still be a very good chip for another year. I highly doubt that a G5 will make it into the iBooks within that time, and the way motorola is (rumored to be) having problems producing enough G4's for just the powerbook and iMac lines, I don't think that the move will be made to G4 iBooks.
I kinda like the G3, it's got a great name!

Although the strain of G3 IBM is producing is better... I agree with fryke. A 1Ghz+ G3 with Altivec will be called a G4 by Apple. Still, a very viable processor.

Back