Running out of space using Photoshop

renasia

Registered
Hi -

I'm using 10.3.9 on a G3 Yosemite (B&W) which has a partitioned 9Gig Hard drive. I have only about 1 gig of free space on the startup disk. When I use Photoshop it does not take long before I start getting warnings about "running out of space on the startup disc". The free space is being filled up by swap files I guess, and the only way I can free up the space again is by restarting the computer. Is there any other way of doing this without restarting? The "Purge" in Photoshop does not clear very much at all.

Thanks!

You need to non-destructively increase your partition size. In today's world, 9 GB is practically a floppy.

The HFS+ format that Mac OS X uses requires that you keep free space available on the hard drive -- around 15% to 20%. 1GB out of 9GB is a mere 11% free, which is below the recommended free space threshold.

When an HFS+ volume gets too full, data corruption is very likely (just one of the pitfalls of the HFS+ format). Like MisterMe said, I would recommend getting a bigger partition ASAP.

Photoshop needs a LOT of hard disk space when it's working, especially on larger projects.

Your cheapest and best option is to buy an internal PC hard disk, say a 80GB @ 7200rpm, then buy a FireWire case for it and hook it up.

Veljo said:
Your cheapest and best option is to buy an internal PC hard disk, say a 80GB @ 7200rpm, then buy a FireWire case for it and hook it up.
The "sweet-spot" for getting the lowest cost per GigaByte here in the states is currently around 250 to 300 GB. The cost effectiveness of an 80 GB drive is highly suspect unless you are looking for a new internal drive for a laptop.

Thanks for your responeses! Actually the problem is even worse, the startup partition is just 6 gig, on which I've tried to keep 1 gig free. Seems like the only solution is a new computer, I've been trying to keep this unit alive until the Intel Macs come out.

Back