rust on logic board

dolph

Registered
Anyone have ideas on how to remove rust from a logic boad? In this case, it's a G3 iMac logic board. There's a small bit around one of the connectors. Don't know how it happened, it was an eBay purchase. Hope the attached pic shows up...

Attachments

• ol rusty.jpg
    ol rusty.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 33
Try cleaning it with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Hopefully the rust did not eat away at the connections.

This kind of corrosion should be fairly easy to remove. I have a set of small utility brushes, toothbrush size. one plastic, one steel wire, one brass wire. the plastic probably won't do much. The steel shouldn't be used on anything. The Brass one, is very soft, and scratches almost nothing, yet is quite good at stirring up corrosion like this, then using a softer bristle (like a standard paint brush) to remove as much as you can.
I would recommend due to the location, you should disassemble as much of this system as you can, checking the area above this connector. Looks like moisture has dripped down from above, and you should inspect every area you can possibly get to.
The alcohol is great also, I use 99%, but that's not easy to find.

Cool, thanks for the good advice. I'll try to track down some good brushes and (not rubbing) alcohol.

Back