Safari 1.0 doesn't support latest version of Flash

malexgreen

Contributor and PB User
I don't know how to upgrade the plug-in for Safari. Right not the latest version is 6.0 r79. Safari supports 6.0 r29. I'm trying to download something from macromedia.com, and they won't let me 'cause Safari is using the old version of flash.

Is there a way to upgrade the plug-in for Safari. Funny thing is I downloaded the latest version of flash, but only Netscape sees the new version. I guess Safari can't do that yet, but I could be wrong. Any info would be nice.:confused:

You can do this directly from the Macromedia site (or from versiontracker) Just download the latest version of Macromedia Flash Player X, which is r79, and double-click on the downloaded file to install. When that is complete, it will open your browser automatically(whatever is set as your default) and open the Macromedia test page, which will give you the chance to verify the version installed. I just did this again now, and updated just fine into Safari, and shows installed plug-ins with Shockwave flash as version r79
Info: Safari mostly uses the plug-ins that are installed to your /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder :)

Hmm, I'm having much the same problem, but the Flash installer won't update the copy Safari is using. I've even run the uninstaller, then the installer, but neither of them touches the plugin that Safari looks for. The about page (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/) still says I'm running 5.0.30 in Safari. This is Safari 1.0 v85 that I'm using, by the way. Can I do this manually, somehow, since the installer seems to be mentally defective?

davidbrit, if you've run the latest installer, go to where the plug-in is kept, which is in /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder, check for the version of Shockwave Flash NP-PPC - should be 6.0 r79 (Safari uses the plug-ins from this folder) If that file is older, delete that file and run the installer again. You can also check what version Safari is using from the Help menu, click on Installed Plug-ins, and scroll to the listing for ShockWave Flash

This is just weird. I deleted the old one, reinstalled, and the Installed Plug-ins list shows the proper version number. The About page at Macromedia still shows version 5.0.30, and Flash animations requiring version 6 display only a broken Quicktime icon. Is Quicktime trying to handle Flash and using an old version of the plugin?

Back