Safari 1.2 in software update.

Scrolling is much better. Very fluid and accurate, even on my old-ass machine.

Seems a little faster, and I'm not one of those people who percieves speed increases with every OS update like some do.

Haven't had a chance to check out the new tabbing functions, but I'm sure one day in the near future I'll be using tab for something and it'll just jump out at me, and I'll go, "Hey, cool!"

Can't wait for 10.3.3.

btoth said:
I can tab to buttons and drop-down menus now, but it still sucks. You have to hit the down arrow to get the menu to appear, then hit Enter for your choice to take effect. Doesn't really save much time over using the mouse. Hate to say it, but IE still does it much better. Seems Apple is still good at making things look nice but can't get the basics to work (that goes for their hardware too).

I wonder what the difference is? When I hit tab, it skips over the drop-downs and goes to the next text box or link.

cjohnson78 said:
I wonder what the difference is? When I hit tab, it skips over the drop-downs and goes to the next text box or link.

Do you have full keyboard access turned on in the Keyboard preferences? That's the only thing I can think of.

It would also be nice if the download window would close when the last download finishes when you have it set to clear the download when it's done.... seems simple enough.

Also..... (while I'm in a ranting mood)

Since they managed to get links from other apps to load in a new tab, why can't they make links on webpages that are coded to open a new window, open as a new tab as well? For example, when you click a link in a thread here, it'd be nice to open a tab (without having to hold down a command key) instead of a new window. Obivously this would only be for people that have tabbed browsing turned on in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something.... oh well.

switching between tabs while a page loads still is slow. Scrolling is fast, just fix the tab switch and I'm satisfied for now.

smaller form buttons = yay. it actually uses css to figure out how big they should be. they're still aqua, but as long as they're following css size guidelines, i'm happy.

larry: Or download OmniWeb 5 Beta 1, which also runs in Jaguar. :)
gribuz: Yes! That'd be great. I love one-window things. :)

RyanLang said:
Buy Panther anyway for crying out loud.

:p

Might not be that simple. I have a 1 GhzTiBook, and an old beige G3 desktop with a 450 Ghz Zif card upgrade. Of course Panther is on the Ti Book, but I was a bit upset that I could not install Panther on the desktop. I was using the larger hard drive on the desktop for file serving and storage, and like to keep both systems up to date. Unfortunately, the desktop is now unable to keep up, just because USB ports are not inbuilt. I know its time to upgrade to a G5 (and will do once I have recovered from the TiBook purchase), but its a shame that installation is disabled. Despite having installed a DVD drive in the desktop, I could never get DVD player installed during system upgrades bacause it was disabled, even though it runs fine.

Never quite understood why.

A.

I have noticed no improvement whatsoever. I'm running SF1.2 on DP G4s, so scrolling was already very fast. So was caching in general, though some pages load in much faster than others. This site is average, 2-pop is slow and Maya forums are instant.

Link tabbing is ho-hum to me, maybe I'll use it but I doubt it. Nice to have tho.

I have very basic browser needs, so 1.2 gets me nothing really, but that's OK. Still my fav browser.

Thanks for all your input . No matter what was written its stll befuddling why Apple's Engineers will not write software backward compatible .And ,Yes I will purchase Panther along with more Ram than my 512 .My real concern was is y processor fast enough to really run Panther . (IMAC 400dvd ) .

LarryD

It has the downloading progress indicator file icon, like IE, or did it always have that? I don't recall that from before.

larry2161941 said:
Thanks for all your input . No matter what was written its stll befuddling why Apple's Engineers will not write software backward compatible .And ,Yes I will purchase Panther along with more Ram than my 512 .My real concern was is y processor fast enough to really run Panther . (IMAC 400dvd ) .

LarryD

I run Panther and my 400 MHz B&W G3 too, and it's very good speed (400 MB RAM, 40 GB HD).

I may have completely missed it before, but Safari now seems to display image descriptions like IE for Windows when you put your little hand over it.

I like the fact that you can save images and downloads anywhere by right clicking and, if you open an image, you get the size dimensions. :)

Back