Safari 1.2 in software update.

Hmm ... I'm not sure if this is a new feature or not, but if while browsing macosx.com (or possibly other forums) you hover over a thread, you get a tool tip that contains the entire post (first), without having to click on the link.

bjurusik said:
Hmm ... I'm not sure if this is a new feature or not, but if while browsing macosx.com (or possibly other forums) you hover over a thread, you get a tool tip that contains the entire post (first), without having to click on the link.

I'd heard about this feature a while back, but it only started to work after I upgraded to Panther.

Thanks

PDS
Been reading the same . I guess there are enough improvements to justfy the purchase of Panther . Anyhow , thats my gameplan . Thanks again for taking the time to reply .

LarryD

ElDiabloConCaca said:
No one knows if Apple will release Safari 1.2 for Jaguar, but the way things have been going, I'd say that they will -- just later on. Apple focuses on the here and now, and their most current technology. Then they update the older software.

Really? Show me all the software that was released for Jag-only when it first came out, then later supported 10.1?

Come on, the press had to brow-beat Apple for weeks before they finally agreed to just release a critical OS update for Jag...

cjboffoli said:
What kind of a country is this when people complain about being inconvenienced because things are not given to them for free?

When I bought Jag, I bought it with the expectation that 1) It would continue to be supported for more than *a year* and 2) that new software would continue to be released for it by Apple for more than a year.

I don't like being told that I have to upgrade my OS at full price *every year* just to be able to run new software. It's like what MS does, but much, much worse - even MS doesn't have the balls to tell new users that they have to upgrade every year.

Even if Apple had done what they did with iChat AV and offered the new software as a low-priced upgrade, it would be better than what they're doing now (and it's unclear whether iChat AV 2.1 will ever be released for Jag, even for users that PAID $30 for 2.0). Right now I have no choice but to buy their new OS.

Ripcord said:
Come on, the press had to brow-beat Apple for weeks before they finally agreed to just release a critical OS update for Jag...

I don't think Apple got "brow-beaten" and then "agreed" to release the update for Jag. I think it was more like, "Hold your horses, it's coming!" I think they had the security update in the works for Jag and people were just becoming impatient.

I do agree with you that Apple is moving towards a yearly update plan for their OS, though. And yes, it does seem like a forced upgrade, too, but many of my friends still use Jag and love it. They'll upgrade to Panther when they feel the need, but Jag works just fine for them and I doubt any of the security "holes" in Jag will be exploited to the point where they feel pressured to update.

Sure, $129 per year seems like a lot, but when you put it into perspective, you pay more for water and sewage in a year than you do for OS updates. I don't know about other cities, but here in Texas, we pay a measley $12 a month for water. That's $144 a year. I'd gladly pay $12 a month for the newest OS from Apple.

anyone has tried the Javascript for back function...
example : <a href="#" onClick="javascript:history.go(-1)">Go Back</a>

Safari still does not function accordingly...

All I know is Safari 1.2 + Panther 10.3.2 + Safari Enhancer + PithHelmet = the best surfing experience I've ever had.

azrad said:
anyone has tried the Javascript for back function...
example : <a href="#" onClick="javascript:history.go(-1)">Go Back</a>

Safari still does not function accordingly...

If you do the back button in form method it works fine. Maybe your code is bad.

An example can be found at TwisterMc.com's Resources

the problem is... it works perfectly in IE and Netscape or Mozilla...

btw... the word 'javascript' should be in one word actually (without the underscore character)...

My Wishlist:
for the next upgrade for Safari, i wish they upgrade the mozilla engine to atleast 1.3

Mozilla engine? Safari is based on the Konqueror (KDE) rendering engine, not Gecko (Mozilla rendering engine). I'm torn as to which is/would have been better, Gecko is quite a bit more mature and masterfully designed (even if it's "bloated"), though Konqueror's engine is lighter and nimbler.

Either way, Safari seems to be coming along reasonably well, in another year it should be a very good browser. I put it in the "fair to good" category now.

I just wish more people on the Windows platforms were using non-IE browsers...

'moving towards a yearly...'? Apple's been releasing Mac OS X upgrades in a yearly fashion since 10.1. - And it's been quite clear that it would move on that way. Also _before_ Mac OS X, the big updates came along in a yearly fashion, with a .1 or .6 update between them. Also: You're _not_ in fact paying full price. 129$ is the upgrade price, since there are no 'full' versions. You've already _got_ a Mac OS license because you've bought a Mac, which doesn't come without one.

Ah, this is really upsetting me right now. After we've finally put the whiners down a bit about the 129$ price tag (remember that ever-recurring question about how much 10.2 and 10.3 would cost and that it was almost _unpossible_ that it would cost 129$?), now there's the same argument because of a simple browser update? :/ Hmm... When Jaguar came out, neither Safari nor iChat AV were around. You did _not_ buy a license for Safari or iChat AV. And Apple never promised to deliver updates to newer software for older operating system versions. If you want to use Safari, use the latest version around for your OS version. If that's not good enough, use OmniWeb, Camino or Firefox. They're all really good, you know...
And come September, you'll be thinking about buying 10.4, which will probably be one BIG upgrade for 10.2 users (and 'just another one' with 150 new features for 10.3 users).

If you're still using Jaguar, btw.: There are many, many things you're missing. Safari 1.2 is probably the LEAST important thing I could think of.

[sarcastic rant] While we're complaining, I wish Apple and other companies would still support OS 9. Sure, OS X is here-and-now, and it's awesome, but some of us can't afford to upgrade to a computer that can actually take full advantage of all that. I mean, what about the other (estimated) 15 million Mac users who haven't switched to OS X? [/sarcastic rant]

I'm sure there are plenty who make this case, but there's not a lot that's going to happen with them. A few companies still make OS 9-compatible software, but not very many anymore. Either deal with it and move on, or deal with it and stay where you are, basically.

Back