Safari: Can I Add a Tab Button to the Tool Bar?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I've looked everywhere. I've searched Mac OS Help, Safari Help and Googled it. Still have not found the answer to my question, which I'm guessing is probably because it can't be done.

My question is this: Know how you can customize the tool bar in Firefox and add a Tab button that opens a new tab when you click on it? Does Safari have this feature as well? I know how to customize my tool bar in Safari, but I have not seen a Tab button. I'm guessing ... no. :(

eric2006 said:
I don't believe so, but apple-t will work as well, probably even faster.
Yeah, I know about Apple + T, but sometimes it's nice to be able to just click on the Tab button. Ah well.

DeltaMac said:
Safari Enhancer will easily add an 'Add Tab' button
Safari Enhancer does me no good either. It, too, is for 10.4 and higher. There's a link at the bottom of the page for the 10.3 version, but when you click on it, it says the page cannot be found. :(

minckster said:
You might want to try Safari Enhancer again, with a different browser if necessary. I just downloaded both the 10.3 and 10.2 versions successfully. Perhaps they fixed the links.

http://www.celestialfrontiers.com/safari_enhancer.php
Hey, thanks! That link worked like a charm! I just have one question, though: What is "Debug" or "Debugging Menu"? I noticed that feature on Safari Enhancer's screen shots and did a search on "debug" in Safari Help. No search results were returned.

EDITED BY AMIE: I just did some Googling and found the hidden debug menu for Safari. I pulled up a screen shot ... and I have no clue what most of the options/features are listed on that debug menu. So, I guess I have no use for that. I don't think Safari Enhancer is worth installing just to add a Tab button. Though it's probably a very useful app for more high-tech people ... but I'm not there yet. :D

The debug menu is useful for website testers mostly, but has neat features. Namely the "Open page with ->" sub-menu for when Safari can't load a page, it lets you choose another browser to open it in.

It's not on by default because it takes some actual learning to find out what to do with 90% of the options.

Wow. Safari Enhancer and PithHelmet were developed by a 16-year-old Alaskan boy. Young genius. I'm impressed! He'll probably be the president of Apple in 10 years. LOL

ra3ndy said:
The debug menu is useful for website testers mostly, but has neat features. Namely the "Open page with ->" sub-menu for when Safari can't load a page, it lets you choose another browser to open it in.

It's not on by default because it takes some actual learning to find out what to do with 90% of the options.
That's very interesting to know. Thank you. But I've never had any problems with Safari rendering Web pages. Seems to work just fine for me.

Thank you, all of you, for your help on this. While I may choose not to download Safari Enhancer, I think I'll take a jaunt on over to Resexcellence.com (I think it is?) and look for some cool Safari add-on features. I like the way Safari runs (most of the time), but face it, its UI is just not as purdy as Firefox. :D

Go to Safari preferences
Select Tabs
Select Always show Tab Bar
When you want a new tab, Right click any tab head or the tab bar anywhere, select new tab.
you may want to also deselect the "Select new tabs as they are created" option so new tabs will load in the background, your choice.

pixmaniowa said:
Go to Safari preferences
Select Tabs
Select Always show Tab Bar
When you want a new tab, Right click any tab head or the tab bar anywhere, select new tab.
you may want to also deselect the "Select new tabs as they are created" option so new tabs will load in the background, your choice.
I thank you for your reply, but that's a little different than what I was looking for. I know how to do it your way, but when you Ctrl-click on a tab that's already open, you get a contextual menu, then you have to click on "Open a new tab." I was just looking for a new tab button that would permanently be in my tool bar (like Firefox has) so that I could simply click once on it and open a new tab. But thanks, anyway. :)

By the way, www.Resexcellence.com has some really great Safari extensions/add-ons. Just click on Safari Stuff. I've downloaded some pretty cool tool bar buttons and Real Tabs that show the active tab highlighted in a pretty aqua blue color, which makes it easier to distinguish which tab is active, etc. Also: Check out the fire progress bar. I downloaded that as well. Neat! :)

Amie said:
I just have one question, though: What is "Debug" or "Debugging Menu"? I noticed that feature on Safari Enhancer's screen shots and did a search on "debug" in Safari Help. No search results were returned.

EDITED BY AMIE: ... I don't think Safari Enhancer is worth installing just to add a Tab button. ... :D
I think you misunderstand Safari Enhancer's use. It does not modify Safari.app in any way. It is just a utility that provides certain settings, which then are written to Safari's pref file. A tab button is just one option. Also, the debug menu is mostly useless for most, except for the ability to change the User Agent, so a site does not see Safari, but thinks you are using a different browser. This can be quite useful for certain financial sites, and others sites that might require Internet Explorer, for example. Again, this setting does not actually modify Safari, but is just a preference setting.
Sounds like you have figured out the tab button another way. Just remember that certain add-ons may get wiped out if Safari is updated. or simply may not work with a newer version of Safari.

DeltaMac said:
I think you misunderstand Safari Enhancer's use. It does not modify Safari.app in any way. It is just a utility that provides certain settings, which then are written to Safari's pref file. A tab button is just one option. Also, the debug menu is mostly useless for most, except for the ability to change the User Agent, so a site does not see Safari, but thinks you are using a different browser. This can be quite useful for certain financial sites, and others sites that might require Internet Explorer, for example. Again, this setting does not actually modify Safari, but is just a preference setting.
Sounds like you have figured out the tab button another way. Just remember that certain add-ons may get wiped out if Safari is updated. or simply may not work with a newer version of Safari.
No, I understand Safari Enhancer's use. I know it's a preference setting utility. I was just saying that for *my* needs, it's not worth installing.

Back