Safari cmd-w tab behaviour

ora

Registered
Hi folks

I am confused in Safari 4.0.4 (6531.21.10) on 10.6.2 as to the behaviour of cmd-w when i have tabs open. Sometimes it does as i want it to it shuts the tab, but often it wants to shut the whole window with multiple tabs in it. I can't seem to make any sense of when it does each behaviour. Any clues?

Still having this issue with Version 4.0.5 (6531.22.7) - still seems random when it closes a tab and when it closes a window. Any ideas?

Command-w should close the currently-selected tab. If it is the only tab on the window, then it closes the window.

Is this not what you're experiencing?

Nope, about half the time it closes the whole window (with multiple tabs in it) or at least offers to as i ended up setting it to check with me first.

@Ora

I promise I will figure this out. I'm also really sad at the number of people experiencing (or at least commenting) about this is so low.

I, or shall I say, we, will get to the bottom of this.

I don't know why, and I don't know if there is a pattern, but I will figure this out.

Also, not sure about you, but this only happens about 4% of the time, I use CMD + W quite often. There has to be something, a common website, cursor location, In a text field, something!

Keep me posted, I'll do the same.

The problem is usually related to Flash. If you click inside a Flash animation or play a Flash video, especially full screen, and then hit cmd-w, Safari will ask if you want to close the current window.

I knew it was going to be something like that. Thank you. That would explain why it is so random. I don't have the Prompt for when closing a window, so it is a very unexpected event when the whole window closes. Fortunately, I am just going to stick with the restore last window workaround.

Thanks again though.

Back