Safari Crash

naomism

Registered
After downloading Safari 1.3.1 to my MAC OS X 3.9, I am no longer able to access Safari but can still access the internet using Internet Explorer. When I tried to access the recent plist--com.apple.safari.plist in Preferences there was an error message that read "No default application specified to open the document". I located two other safari plists -both agent -defaults and both dated June 23, 2004. I now remember having this problem in the past when I updated but then had phone help to resolve it. I know that changing the user name will not change anything.

What I can do to use Safari again? Perhaps it is best to to revert back to the earlier version, but I will need help in doing this.

I wouldn't worry about accessing the Safari preference files, just drag them to the trash and empty the trash. They will be recreated the next time you open Safari. If you have any Safari enhancers or third party download managers be sure they are the very latest versions as previous versions aren't compatible with either Safari 1.3.1 or Safari 2.x.

'After downloading Safari 1.3.1 ..., I am no longer able to access Safari...', after downloading and installing 'Safari' v. 1.3.1, did you immediately run 'Disk Utility' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder) and perform a 'Repair Permissions'? If not, do so now and post your results.

'When I tried to access the recent plist--com.apple.safari.plist in Preferences there was an error message that read "No default application specified to open the document"', correct and expected, if 'Property List Editor' is not installed. Refer to the fourth 'Panther' installation disc.
An alternative is to drag any '.plist' file onto 'TextEdit' ('/Applications/' folder) or onto the 'TextEdit' icon on the 'Dock'. Sadly, for those with 'Tiger' - 'TextEdit' does not display '.plist' files, as it does in 'Panther'.

The 10.3.9 version of Safari broke a lot of third party add-ons. So look for any third party enhancers that you may have installed over the past year (and forgot about).

barhar said:
'When I tried to access the recent plist--com.apple.safari.plist in Preferences there was an error message that read "No default application specified to open the document"', correct and expected, if 'Property List Editor' is not installed.
The Property List Editor is not part of the standard OS X installation. It is included in the Developer's Tools. In Panther you can open a plist with TextEdit as it is just an XML file. In Tiger however, the plist files have been converted to binary and can only be opened and read with Property List Editor.

That still does not prevent dragging a plist file to the trash. It is the easiest way to correct a damaged plist since an application automatically creates a new default plist if it does not find one.

>>The 10.3.9 version of Safari broke a lot of third party add-ons. So look for any third party enhancers that you may have installed over the past year (and forgot about). >>

How do we do this ? Because I too am experiencing all the same problems (OSX 10.3.9 with Safari 1.3.1)

Thanks !

Shawn

Nothing is working. I downloaded Safari Enhancer (as someone suggested), I deleted prefs, rebooted, repaired permissions, ran Cocktail - all still no allowing access to even simple sites like Amazon.

Would installing an old version of Safari help ? Or is this a security update issue from Mac ? I am completely lost on this one.

Thanks

Shawn

The MacOS X 10.3.0 and 10.3.9 installers add (and replace, respectively) the 'Safari' application and the '/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/' folder on ones Mac.

The 'Safari' v. 1.3.1 update then replaces both the 'Safari' application and the 'WebKit.framework' folder. Thus, to return to 'Safari' v. 1.3, one is required to replace both 'Safari' and the 'WebKit.framework' folder.

I never installed 'Safari' v. 1.3.1; nor, did I ever have to reinstall an Apple update - thus, it may be possible for you to just reinstall 'MacOSXUpdateCombo10.3.9' (117 MB in size). The installer will either reinstall all of its contents, or present an alert ...

There are various ways to extract files and / or folders from a '.dmg' file.

One, simple and quick, way is to:
01. Download 'Pacifist' ($20, shareware) and launch it.
02. Double click on 'MacOSXUpdateCombo10.3.9.dmg' and drag its respective 'MacOSXUpdateCombo10.3.9.pkg' file onto 'Pacifist's window.
03. Click on 'Pacifist's 'Applications' disclosure triangle (to make it point down), and drag 'Safari' to your 'Desktop'. Do not worry, 'Safari' will appear on the 'Desktop' with the proper icon.
04. Next, click on the disclosure triangle of the 'Pacifist's window's 'System' folder, navigate to 'Pacifist's '/System/Library/Frameworks/' folder; and finally, drag the 'WebKit.framework' folder to the 'Desktop'.

You should now have 'Safari' v. 1.3 and its respective 'WebKit.framework' folder on your Mac's 'Desktop'.

05. Double click on the upper right most icon (your hard disk drive) on the 'Desktop'.
06. Drag 'Safari' v. 1.3 from the 'Desktop' onto your Mac's '/Applications/' folder (clicking on the 'Replace' button of the presented alert box).
07. Open the Mac's 'System' folder, and continue to navigate to the Mac's '/System/Library/Frameworks/' folder.

[You are about to modify a System level folder. I would typically log in as 'root' and perform such; but, an administrator should have the same capabilities via authenticating.]

08. Drag the 'WebKit.framework' from the 'Desktop' onto the Mac's '/System/Library/Frameworks/' folder (clicking on the 'Authenticate' button of the presented window, and entering any need information).
09. Restart (reboot) your Mac.

You should now have 'Safari' v. 1.3 and its respective 'WebKit.framework' folder installed; just as if you installed 'MacOS X 10.3.9', and never installed the 'Safari' v. 1.3.1 update.

[
Disclaimer:
The above information is factual, accurate, and reproducible.
Any results from one applying the above steps are the sole responsibility and liability of that individual.
]

Back