Safari Crashing Repeatedly

Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here, but recently Safari has been crashing on my MacBook. I think it may happen most frequently when I'm trying to switch to a new web address before the current one has completely loaded. Is anyone else having this problem? I am pasting the first section of the error report below. If it would help to have the entire report, let me know (I didn't want to paste the entire thing due to its length).

Command: Safari
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Parent: WindowServer [56]

Version: 2.0.4 (419.3)
Build Version: 13
Project Name: WebBrowser
Source Version: 4190300

PID: 29249
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000000b

Anything readable in Console, System or Crash logs? Sometimes it's obvious.
Instead of pasting the whole thing, scan them and see if anything stands out.

Any crashing app needs its preferences trashed and a restart. If you keep a cache in Safari, that too.

If you're using Stand or any input managers, anything else along with Safari, try it naked (Safari, not you.) If you have Applejack, run that at startup ...

Any extra copies of Safari? Sometimes I've resorted to that, and for a time I was using nightlies - new features are great, but can't run any 3rd parties.

If this remains reproducible, submit a bug report.

Do you run Application Enhancer?

All for now; keep us posted (ha ha.)

Nothing too obvious. Tryed trashing preferences and clearing cache. Not using any input managers. I dont have any extra copies of Safari, but where are you getting the nightlies from?

I'm downloading nightly webkit builds and I experienced any more crashing, but I'd rather be using Safari, considering that autofill functionality isn't a working part of webkit, and it is quite useful and convenience when using the internet regularly.

Follow these steps to determine why Safari is crashing.

1. Launch Console (/Applications/Utilties/Console).
2. In Console click on the top left hand word (in the application) "Logs".
3. In the left hand column highlight "Console.log" and keep the the console Application running.
4. Then launch Safari and wait until it crashes.
5. In you dock bring the Console application back to the front and and see what error it reports.
6. Report the error back to this thread.

Safari crashed once, and then crashed again right afterwards when I was going to macosx.com to report it. Console read:

2007-03-09 00:01:02.086 SyncServer[26563] A Sync Server is already running on this computer, exiting process.
Mar 9 00:03:30 charles-zaffaronis-computer mDNSResponder: ERROR: recvSetupResponse - bad op 2
Mar 9 03:26:25 charles-zaffaronis-computer crashdump[26589]: Safari crashed
Mar 9 03:26:28 charles-zaffaronis-computer crashdump[26589]: crash report written to: /Users/czaffaroni/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log
Mar 9 03:27:33 charles-zaffaronis-computer crashdump[26594]: Safari crashed
Mar 9 03:27:33 charles-zaffaronis-computer crashdump[26594]: crash report written to: /Users/czaffaroni/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log

The Safari.crash.log for the 3:27 crash read:
Command: Safari
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Parent: WindowServer [56]

PID: 26593

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000008

Again:

2007-03-10 16:29:32.691 SyncServer[8932] A Sync Server is already running on this computer, exiting process.
Safari(710,0xa000cfc0) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=3778371584) failed (error code=3)
Safari(710,0xa000cfc0) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
Safari(710,0xa000cfc0) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Mar 10 16:30:53 charles-zaffaronis-computer crashdump[8938]: Safari crashed
Mar 10 16:30:56 charles-zaffaronis-computer crashdump[8938]: crash report written to: /Users/czaffaroni/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log
Mar 10 16:31:30 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: Your crash report is being automatically submitted! You can disable auto-submit using this shell command:\ndefaults write com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO
Mar 10 16:31:30 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: For quality control purposes auto-submit is enabled by default for Apple internal users. Apple employees should still file RADARs for bug tracking purposes.
Mar 10 16:31:30 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: Collecting system configuration...
Mar 10 16:31:34 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: Sending...
Mar 10 16:31:34 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: GetMACAddress
Mar 10 16:31:34 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: Iterating....
Mar 10 16:31:37 charles-zaffaronis-computer Crash Reporter[8942]: Auto-submission succeeded!

PID: 710

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
from the crash log

Something is seriously wrong, Safari and a major error. Make sure in you Safari plugins you don't have a third party set of plugins. Next goto your system Preferences->Date & Time and make sure under the Time Zone that you select your Time Zone. The in that same Date & Time click on the "Date & Time tab" and Set the time to the place that is nearest to you.

Then launch /Applications/Utilties/Disk Utility and in Disk Utility "Repair Permissions" on your drive. Then download the maintenance application Yasu and let the application clean EVERYTHING in it's routines.

Lastly if Safari continues to crash go to /HardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist and delete it then relaunch Safari.

Please report back after you do these steps.

Thanks for your help. I checked the date/time and everything seems to be in order. Why exactly do you think it may have had something to do with the problem?

I downloaded and ran Yasu. Will keep you posted on if I am still having problems.

Thanks for your help. I checked the date/time and everything seems to be in order. Why exactly do you think it may have had something to do with the problem?

Right Here:

Safari(710,0xa000cfc0) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region

I think that has to do with memory rather than real-life "regions", though. ;)

Back