Safari Features - Password storing, status bar, all included

I find it slow at times too. Sometimes WAY slow. But sometimes it seems fast. Weird. Now i gotta go find safari applescripts

Twister

theed - definitly try to figure this one out as apple is proud that this is the fastest browser by far. I heard from one of the developers that Steve was really pissed at www.macosrumors.com for saying it was slow. Yes, Steve has personally been checking the sites for reaction from what i heard (or at least having someone check them for him). the safari i played with at mwsf was like lightening. it rocked on a 17" imac. by far the best i've seen on os x yet. if you can't figure it out on your own, let apple know - they really want this to go well and have worked hard to do it.

(oh, "Hi Steve" if you are reading this :) )

Why not put Sufari on a PC so show how cool we are. IE is on both. Actually We need cross platform browsers so PC people will think they are actually worth designing and coding for.

I love Safari. I haven't been this giddy since, well I guess it wasn't that long ago that I tried Chimera but this rocks too ^_^

twister, it can't be on PC without serious recoding. Did you notice how large the download was? 3 meg I believe Then I think it was 15 to install. That means that this is seriously dependant on cocoa (which it should be, that's why we have cocoa). It's using tons of Cocoa libraries and porting it to PC would suck all that away.

besides, they don't deserve it nanu nanu nanu

Love the app hate the name. Should of been called "eye browse" ha ha ha
Whoever said it is slow must have a messed up system or something because with the exception of pages with flash it is fast. Especially compared to IE and Mozilla.

One thing I would like to see is an option to tweak the amount of sites listed in the History menu; perhaps be able to list more than ten before going into the "Earlier Today" submenu, or be able to disable it altogether.

Another missing feature is auto-site name completion (I don't know if that's the technical name for it). For instance, if I type 'homestarrunner' into the location bar, intuitively (or at least how it works with Chimera and OmniWeb) it would change it to 'http://www.homestarrunner.com' and go from there. I wonder why they didn't put that in?

Another thing I've noticed is that rather than having individual buttons in the toolbar that you can rearrange (a la Finder windows), you just choose options from the View menu of which buttons you want to see on the top (like back, forward, etc.). Why the difference? Is it so it won't screw with the oh-so-nice brushed metal interface? I'm not complaining, just curious.

is it possible that some of the features people are 'missing' are the very things that slow the other browsers down? something along these lines was implied to me by the safari developers i was speaking with. like with all iapps, they weren't trying to be all things to all people - just to make a nice, simple fast browser that will do what the average mac user needs it to do.

I Love this browser!!!
It's very fast.It makes bookmarks so easy,and every time I open a new window it is the perfect size for my 15" iMac. I can't tell you how much I love that, no more constant window resizing as with the other browsers. I did have a problem with visiting a few sites like cartoon network and nick.com(my kids faves) while the flash content displays fine,actually playing the games was not possible,I did send feedback to Apple and I'm sure they will get things right next time. All in all I think Safari rocks!!!!

All in all I think Safari rocks!!!!

- Tabs
- Better interface
... and it will 'roll' too ;)

PS: Steve, you're reading this, please, please consider the whole design community is waiting for MacOS X to PREVIEW FONTS in the Finder. And I'm sorry if I just shouted, but this function is vital to us. Added to column view, it'll make font management a pleasure under X.

for those of you who cannot see the "in a new window" in the status bar, here is a screenshot

Attachments

• mouseov.jpg
    mouseov.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 78
I did have a problem with visiting a few sites like cartoon network and nick.com(my kids faves) while the flash content displays fine,actually playing the games was not possible

i have to wonder what's up with that. i didn't check out nick but i did go to the harry potter site and the games there worked fine. very smooth and crisp. could it be that nick uses m$ java which almost everyone is ignoring now?

Originally posted by shatfield1529
Another missing feature is auto-site name completion (I don't know if that's the technical name for it). For instance, if I type 'homestarrunner' into the location bar, intuitively (or at least how it works with Chimera and OmniWeb) it would change it to 'http://www.homestarrunner.com' and go from there. I wonder why they didn't put that in?

Safari autocompletes just fine for me. Of course, the URL you want it to complete must be in your history or bookmarks.

still a beta.

but saffari does not support text clippings, hope they add this feature too

shatfield - I really hate url autocompletion of the form you describe. I go to more sites that end in '.org' than '.com'. Besides that, at least Chimera doesn't believe that 'p.p' can possibly be right (it's the configuration shortcut for the Privoxy web proxy, and it bloody well isn't 'www.p.p')

It's OK when a list of potential completions pops up for you to choose from, but I hate when the browser tries to be smarter than me. It isn't - that's why browsers are free to download, and people are ridiculously expensive and smelly to raise.

Back