safari not playing quicktime embedded videos on sites

ian_k

Registered
Hi All

i've a problem where when i go onto websites with quicktime movies embedded into the page, i cant view them, sites such as the apple site.
I get the quicktime logo with white question mark and nothing plays.
i've tried reinstalling quicktime, still same problem.

to show you what i mean here is a screen grab below.
im running 10.5 fully upto date.

quicktime.jpg

It looks like you do not have the internet plug-in.

Go to your Library in your hard drive. Then go to Internet Plug-ins and see if you have the QuickTime Plugin.plugin and QuickTime Plugin.webplugin.

Now these things should load with your installation. The other thing to check is to see if QuickTime is set to play these on your web browsers.

--J.D.

Last edited:
iv also posted this on the apple site, and not been able to solve
very annoying, i think it might be an apple software update that may of caused this, but then surely other people will of had the issue

A few things to try:

1. See if QT is Enabled to Play the Media: see the pickies attached. This is in the System Preferences

2. Try Another Browser: see if the problem exists in Firefox.

3. Make Sure Flash is Installed I would get the same "Q" if I had not actually installed Flash. Actually, for awhile, in one of the 10.4.9-11ish periods, I kept "losing" my Flash and even had to re-install it. Most annoying. Would happen while using it to listen to the Glorious Red Sox crush the MFYs. Get that from the Adobe site. My problem eventually "went away" with updates to 10.4.11 . . . and, of course, new computer.

--J.D.

Attachments

• QuickTime-1.jpg
    QuickTime-1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 14
  • QuickTime.jpg
    QuickTime.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 14
No, I'm wondering if they're interfering with Apple's web page...

Perhaps on the user's system they have set Quicktime movies to be handled by a plug-in other than Quicktime, which could potentially cause this problem.

Okay . . . so like in my pickies?

Then, ian_k, have you checked to see if those are configured properly?

--J.D.

yep iv checked quicktime MIME settings, enabled, disabled options reset to the defaults. rebooted, someone even suggested removing the plugins and reinstalling, done that

Back