Safari or Firefox?

It is great that we all have a different opinion of each browser. Isn't it great that we have these choices on the Macintosh? Got to love it. :) :) :)

I'm just not happy with any of the browsers I've tried in OSX, here is a quick list of pros/cons I consider each I've tried to have (my opinions, from my experience):

Safari:
pros:
- 'As you type', spell checker

cons:
- Interface is a bit bulky
- Lack of features/options

Camino:
pros:
- Best interface
- Fast

cons:
- No spell checker

Firefox:
pros:
- extensions
- extensions
- extensions

cons:
- General slowness
- Suckyness of the interface
- Lack of decent OSX keyboard support

I was using Camino as my main browser for a while, but have now gone back to Safari - for the sole reason of it's spell checking features. I much prefer the interface of Camino to the other two (the tabs are lovely), and I have found it to be the fastest.

Firefox is good, but doesn't look OSXy enough. The main reason I cannot use it though is that editing text in forms is a complete nightmare with there seemingly being no keyboard shortcuts to do things like jump to the start of a line, etc...

lnoelstorr said:
Firefox is good, but doesn't look OSXy enough. The main reason I cannot use it though is that editing text in forms is a complete nightmare with there seemingly being no keyboard shortcuts to do things like jump to the start of a line, etc...

Firefox must surely have a theme that's OSXy enough for ya! :) There's at least a dozen that I know of, if not more, that you can download from them. Most are pretty cool.

ziess said:
I get what you mean about Firefox not acting like a mac app (try tabbing beween text boxes in the proxies tab...) but you can make it look like a mac app.

http://www.aroussi.com/article/11/f...osx-safari-look

Does this screenshot look like any other browser?

Looks like an uglier version of Safari, which I'm not too fond of the look of anyway. Camino is easily the best looking Browser on the Mac.

Also, does it change buttons and drop downs to Apple ones? (and by that I mean the ones in forums).

Still, no matter what it looks like, I'm sure it would still be completely unusable due to it's rubbish keyboard support.

The theme's page also includes replacement buttons and form elements and, true it's keyboard support is a bit crap,but it's sooooooooo fast, esp. downloads after changing it's default config.

ziess said:
The theme's page also includes replacement buttons and form elements and, true it's keyboard support is a bit crap,but it's sooooooooo fast, esp. downloads after changing it's default config.

I found it really crawled along (yes, I'd changed the config).

It was just stuff like opening a new tab that really killed it.

I then used Camino and was amazed at its speed.

I am back on Firefox at the moment though (oh, and I much prefer it's default theme to that Safari-a-like one), but the editing stuff is already driving me mad again, I think it's back to Safari next.

Oh - also, Safari's form completion rules!

Oh, and finally, does anyone ever use that 'snapback' thingy in Safari?

The GrApple (Brushed) theme is very close to Safari. It even includes Safari-like icons for a lot of different extensions. The gear-looking icon on the far right is for Web Developer. The next icon is for the Autofill extension, but I had to edit the extension myself to use that icon. (I'm happy to share the edited extension, if anyone wants it.)

Attachments

• ff-grapple.png
    ff-grapple.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 11
Try Camino , and also iCab.
iCab has some really neat features such as the ability to identify itself to sites as explorer in order to improve compatibility.

cyclyst1964 said:
iCab has some really neat features such as the ability to identify itself to sites as explorer in order to improve compatibility.

Firefox has this same feature available as an extension, and Opera has been able to do this for a while now. As for Camino, I don't remember exactly if it has that option, but it's still a good browser.

iCab is OK, but it does tend to be rather dodgey at times with some websites. I've used 3.0 on an OS 9 machine as well as an OS X and personally it doesn't do enough for me to switch me over from Firefox or Camino. Of course, on OS 9 it's the only other option to IE (sure you can use WaMCom, but it's so out of date it's not worth it).

cyclyst1964 said:

Safari has that same function if you turn it on. The easiest way to turn on the "Debug" menu (where you can select 'User Agent' to change the browser identification) is to download the application Safari Enhancer. Once the 'Debug' menu is activated it is super easy to change the browser identification.

DEFINETLY FIREFOX, MUCH FASTER. Hehe... Just use Firefox, only had one problem with it, JAVA STUFFS UP. Also Firefox works with my problem on my recent post, thats another reason why I am happy with it.

JUST USE FIREFOX!

Man, people love firefox likes its running on windows :rolleyes: My vote goes to Safari, just feels way more integrated and more "osx-like", stable and faster. Safari's web page loading speed may not be as fast as Firefox, but the interface definitely feels more responsive. IMHO Firefox can get crowded up with "junk" pretty quickly and the interface can also get clogged up pretty fast, but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, some extensions are pretty cool, but i just prefer Safari. Safari can be customized really easily if you know what you are doing. My website is really primitive but you can see that Safari renders it alot better than firefox.

I've actually been building a web browser and thought i would jus show it off really quick here just to show you what i think a beautiful browser should look like, its still beta/alpha so it wont be released for a while, but everything works fine so far; bookmarks history tabs etc.

ebrowser.jpg

I find the opposite to be true. Safari renders much faster than Firefox on my G5. In fact there are times when web pages render incorrectly with Firefox and render just fine with Safari.

safari, im on an imac350 i need to keep performance as best as possible and when i installed downloaded and installed fiorefox, it took ages to run, safari loads much faster on this old computer so i think ill stick to ir, even though i love firefox on windows, maybe wehn i get a new mac ill try again

I find that Safari is better/faster with "normal" sites, like say this one, or 99% of the sites I visit. But when I have to visit godawful sites like IGN, Firefox serves me much better. Actually, most video game sites these days have disgustingly bad design. Way too busy, way too fancy, way more complicated than they need to be.

I've been going around a lot of video game sites lately because of all the news from E3, and Firefox is just so much better for the task. Flashblock alone is a lifesaver, since many of these sites have about half a dozen flash items on every page (which makes me want to kill someone...).

But for the sites I actually like to visit, Safari is my #1.

Back