Safari snafu

ebolag4

Fundamentalist whack-job
When I use Safari to check my web pages off of a ZIP disk, my computer will not eject the ZIP disk until I've Quit our of Safari. Even if it has been hours since I loaded a webpage or graphic off of the ZIP, I still get the "cannot eject because the disk is in use" message.

As soon as I quit Safari, voila! Out comes the disk.

Anybody had similar problems with removeables, or is this maybe a Safari/ZIP specific problem?

Never a good idea to run things off a zip first of all. Second, it might have cached something, yea you would think it would let it go if it did, but who knows. But working from a zip is a very bad thing. And that comes from personal experience a looooong time ago.

I don't have that problem with my removeable disk (LaCie FW hard drive).

It appears that Safari locks the file on the drive--which is quite interesting behaviour since the file is open for read, read, and then closed once the page (or whatever media) is loaded.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you make a symlink to your ZIP disk through your WebServer/Documents folder, and have apache server load the page. Does that help?

Also, are you sure you don't have other files accidentally open on your disk. Keep in mind that having a terminal window open and even being in any folder on the ZIP disk will prevent it being unmounted, even if there are no open files...

Originally posted by michaelsanford
It appears that Safari locks the file on the drive--which is quite interesting behaviour since the file is open for read, read, and then closed once the page (or whatever media) is loaded.

That's about what I thought, but I wanted a second opinion.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you make a symlink to your ZIP disk through your WebServer/Documents folder, and have apache server load the page. Does that help?

I don't get into that part of my machine. Just never had the interest.

Also, are you sure you don't have other files accidentally open on your disk. Keep in mind that having a terminal window open and even being in any folder on the ZIP disk will prevent it being unmounted, even if there are no open files...

I didn't have any other programs running at the time, and I usually never mess with Terminal unless I'm doing something very specific (and very seldom).

Urbansory, I can't speak to your ZIP experience, but I've been using ZIPs this way since the month they came out, and I've never had a single problem before. That's one of the reasons I think it is a Safari problem and not a ZIP problem.

Thanks for the help!

I mean working off zips altogether, just not a good idea, i don't use them anymore, don't hold enough data, 1 to 3 files, it's done. The click of death is another reason why it's a bad idea, i haven't used a zip in a few years, went from zips to CDs now DVDs.

That, plus if you're like me, and don't take care of the zip disks, you'll lose some stuff, or just have unreadable files because part of them are corrupted.

Well, no offense folks, but as soon as someone plops down the money for me to be able to get a CD or DVD burner, I might think about it.

Again, I've had absolutely nothing but a good experience from ZIPs. I don't run out of space quickly, and I find them easier to care for than CDs/DVDs. I've broken scores of those, but never one ZIP.

As for the click of death, that's never been a problem either. As always, experiences differ for users.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Back