Safari will not install but I have a new file

Ian Cameron

Registered
iMac G5 osx 10.4 134GB free space
Downloading Mac security update, computer froze. After running utilities a few times in disc repair mode, all seemed OK. except I discovered I had a new file called lost+found What do I do with it?. Then I tried to re install Safari 1.2 (removed by me, previous problem) HD indicates Can not install on this volume. Any helpful advice to this ignorant sod will be much appreciated

lost+found is a special directory where fragments of files that are recovered by a disk repair are placed. I have one on every drive, just ignore it. Is there more information about why it cannot install, does it give a reason?

Lurk
Thank you for prompt reply. I shall ignore my lost+found. The exact message I get is "You cannot install Safari 1.2 on this volume. This system cannot use this software" Another new thing I get is a new icon to me
ymsgrsetup which attempts to start and then fails
Ian

Safari 1.2 will not install on a 10.4 machine because 10.4 uses Safari 2.

Use a program like Pacifist (available from versiontracker.com) to extract the Safari application from your Mac OS X 10.4 Install CD/DVD.

You should be able to just do a custom install for Safari off the Tiger disc.

Safari 2 should have been installed by default along with Tiger and 2.0.1 was installed as part of the 10.4.3 update package. The current version of Safari is 2.0.2 which was part of the 2005-009 Security update. Have you checked to see what version you currently have on your system?

Computer finally got a bad case of the sulks and would not turn on. After a few hours with install CD doing disc repairs and hard drive repairs, I re installed OSX This cheered the machine up, it came back to life, Safari re appeared and all is well. One puzzle for me was hard drive evaluation would show a mass storage fault, I would re run evaluate and the fault would have disappeared. Then I would run repair disc OK but then on hard drive repair the fault would be back. Anyway all is now well and I do thank you for you knowledge and willingness to share it

Back