Safari Wishlist

azrad

Not-so-junior Member
Ok. Actually i dunno where to put this thread. I hope the admin can transfer it if it is not suit here.

right. since alots of us ranting about the feature not included in the Safari. i just like to know what others wishlist for the next Safari update. here's mine.

Safari developer should look into this area and try to come up with some ideas regarding this issue. A suggestion might be, if the user hasn't assigned any CSS on the form field, the Safari will use default browser setting, else the CSS should override the default browser settings.
taken from my previous post.

Raise the Download window whenever a download starts, I am so used to FireBird(firefox now i guess) that i keep clicking on the link thinking that no download has started because I am not seeing any kind of feedback then I look at the download window and I have 5 of the same file downloading.

In addition to what each of you has mentioned, I'd like it that when you load a page or open a new window that the address bar was highlighted by default or could be easily highlighted by hitting Tab or such. If there's already a key shortcut for this, please tell me. I'd sometimes like a "Go" button that I could click on, maybe the solution for me would just be a customizable toolbar like the other browsers have because while I'm thinking of it, sometimes I accidentally hit the Close button instead of the Back button. Overall though, 1.2 has made good progress.

- "Exclude" list of sites for Popup Blocking
- Allow option to prompt user each time for downloading (user shouldn't have to always bring up contextual menu, and that can't happen sometimes anyway ("automatic" downloads, for example)
- Allow reordering/dragging of tabs
- "Show All Bookmarks" should not load in current window/tab, should create a new window or tab
- History viewer similar to Bookmarks viewer
- I dunno, something cool and innovative, that no one's thought of yet. So far everything in Safari has already been invented by someone else, and in most cases there's at least one implementation of a feature that's better (and many features aren't implemented very well at all, IMHO)

I'd like an XML parser/renderer like how IE does. In IE when an XML page comes up it will try to parse and display the XML in a nice looking format. If Safari could do that it would be sweet and very useful - and also give a more specific description of why an XML doc failed to load (Safari gives a generic reason while IE gives specific char and line number that's giving it problems).

I want it to warn me when I am going to shut the whole window with many tabs open - ala Omniweb

And the most important one: Save window size & position. I know, it's another OW feature, but this is really important to me. *I* know how big I want my windows to be. I don't want JavaScripts to be able to open, close or change windows. And I want every new window I create to have the position and size I have defined by a 'Save window size & position' in the 'Windows' menu.

I've submitted this feature-request as a bug ever since Safari came out. I still miss it. :)

Warning before closing a window with multiple tabs...done that way too many times on accident in states of absent-mindness.

The search field...give us the option to pick which engine we want to use. Maybe another icon in the buble on the right that pops out a menu with a list of engines specified in the preferences. Similar to how the mangifier/recent searches works.

Other than Fryke listing his complaint as a bug, is there a way to contact Apple about such suggestions?

Giaguara: The second half of your request is already in Safari 1.2. Dunno about earlier versions, though. But I second the other request. Opening image in a new tab and copying the URL from the location field is too much hassle and takes my focus away from the document I'm reading...

Randman: Apple's website has some feedback stuff somewhere. But I guess it's better to directly address Safari instead of 'Apple'.

Well, for one that hasn't been listed yet...

I'd like to see tabs listed in the Window menu as sub-windows, like indented after the window's main name. Then when you select one, it brings up that tab in its window. That would make it easy to find a certain page when a lot of tabs are open (like when I have 300 Macosx.com threads open at once).

MikeXpop said:
address field variables a la omniweb.

spell checking as I type a la omniweb.

Maybe i am missing something, but I assume not. Right click any text input field, and hit... 'Spelling' / 'Check Spelling As I Type'.

Ripcord said:
- Allow option to prompt user each time for downloading (user shouldn't have to always bring up contextual menu, and that can't happen sometimes anyway ("automatic" downloads, for example)

How did I forget this one? That's been something I wanted since day one. Automatically downloading to a particular folder has it's uses, but I personally like being asked.

I wish there is an option to print the url of the web page being printed. Or is this possible already?

I sometimes print information from web pages but not bookmark them, and when I want to revisit the page again, I have to do some pretty hefty Google searches.

-B

~~NeYo~~ said:
Maybe i am missing something, but I assume not. Right click any text input field, and hit... 'Spelling' / 'Check Spelling As I Type'.

yeah it is implemented ... ( it wasn't working properly in past versions)

Back