Safari Woes on 10.3.7!!!

lightsabre

Registered
Hi, I recently just jumped down a cog from 10.3.9 to 10.3.7 in order to fix some bug problems, using Install Disc 1 to 'Archive and Install' my OS.
All the programs run like they should except my most used one - Safari.

When i click on safari from the dock, it either does nothing (just bobs for a while) or comes up with an empty browser that wont even allow me to type into the url bar. It has become a totally useless browser. Luckily I also have Camino installed (which is an ace browser!) which is still working, but i would rather have my safari back... any ideas anyone? (i have also just repaired all disk permissions) (my details are below)

Could it be that you still have safari 1.3 that came with the update to X.3.9
i.o safari 1.2 ?

that would make a lot of sense. check the version number for safari. if not from the loaded state, then in a finder window in column view wth the safari.app selected.

Same thing happened to one of our clients' computers. Had her run Firefox instead. (This is on a archive and re-install as well, although it was 10.3.7 to 10.3.7) There were a bunch of other problems with her machine in addition to this that popped up after about a week, so I eventually just backed up her data and did a fresh install... and Safari started working again. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I don't think your issue is the fact that you went from 10.3.9 to 3.7.... I think it's something screwy in the archive and reinstall process with Safari... Has anyone else seen this?

If he was up-to-date with all the available updates in Software Update, and did the Archive & Install process just yesterday or today, then it's very likely that Safari is at version 1.3, which requires OS X 10.3.9 to run.

I'd say give the version number check a shot.

If Safari's at 1.3, I always say it's better to back your documents up and freshly install the OS, as well as freshly install your applications from their CD or original disk image (as opposed to just copying them back over from a backup). This ensures that every little file is clean, correct and in the right place and makes for one solid-running system. While it's reliable most of the time, Archive & Install can sometimes leave a bit or a piece of a problem leftover from the old system and manifest it into a bigger problem.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
If he was up-to-date with all the available updates in Software Update, and did the Archive & Install process just yesterday or today, then it's very likely that Safari is at version 1.3, which requires OS X 10.3.9 to run

I always remain up to date with all the newest software updates, so that could be it. I remember I think i was running safari 1.3, which won't run on 10.3.7??
Is there anywhere I can re-download an older version of safari (1.2?)

Back