Samsung Instinct - The iphone killer?

supanatral

Registered
I was able to get my hands on a samsung instinct today and to see if they should buy it for all of the employees. Right off the bat, I don't see how it's the iPhone killer. It has many features like the iPhone but doesn't beat much.

I accidently dropped it today and immediately, theres a big gash on the corner of it. Mean while I've dropped my iPhone and even after trying to look for a scratch, couldn't find one. The screen on the Instinct has odd little bends in it and if you look at it it isn't perfectly flat mean while the iPhone is. Now, I agree that the screen isn't a big deal at all, but it shows the workman ship of the product, thats all.

If I were to have a Samsung Instinct, I'm sure I would figure out how to navigate through it easily however the iPhone is much easier to learn. The Instinct's icons for programs are organized by type, however the iPhone has it just laid out the way you like it.

The instinct has exchange support but only with Sprint, not with Bell. So if your in Canada, you can't. Actually, i couldn't even find out how to setup email. If I were to guess, you have to have a windows live account, and then it will notify you when you have email so then you can pick it up with the browser. However, don't quote me on that because I don't have a windows live account.

As you can see, the Instinct lost. You know the sad thing though? It didn't just loose to the iPhone, we decided to buy the Razr 2 (because we were forced to be with Bell) for all the employee's instead. The only other way to do it is to buy blackberry's for everyone then have to buy the licenses for the Blackberry Enterprise Server so it would end up being a lot more money then originally anticipated.

My final conclusion is: The Instinct are for teenagers that want a cool phone. Apple is shooting more for the business market though.

Has anyone else got an opinion?

Last edited:
It all depends on what you want out of a phone.

Personally I think the iPhone is still missing a few things. I'd liked to have seen atleast a 3.2mp camera and I'm sure that this could have been achieved. The lack of video recording is also another big let down for me.

Once these two issues have been rectified I'll be first in line, until then I'm holding out for the Nokia N96.

please let there *not* be an "iphone killer?" thread for every other iphone-lookalike in the next few years. from the iPod and its share of "iPod-killers" we know that a lot of them will try and fail.

Has there ever been an [insert Apple product here]-killer that actually came along, lived up to the hype, and "killed" said Apple product?

Many will try, all will fail. If you set out with the mission of trying to best an existing product, my opinion is that you've already doomed yourself to fail before you've even started. If Sprint, Nokia, Dell, Gateway, LG, Samsung, Sony, and all the other tech companies would just do market research, conduct tests in usability, and simplify their devices, they'd actually stand a better shot of getting their products "up there" with Apple's consumer products... instead, they just shoehorn a bunch of half-assed features into their product and claim that it's going to kill the iPod/iPhone/iMac by virtue that their device now has more features than the Apple product, and we all know that people don't buy electronics based upon the sheer number of features they have.

I, myself, am a little disappointed about all the Android hooplah and rumors of delays. I would love to see a viable competitor to the iPhone enter the market. It'd be good for both Apple and the competing company if the competing company put as much effort into real design and usability instead of focusing all their energies on studying Apple's devices and seeing how they can simply bloat their device to include more features than Apple's.

Reactions: lbj
Has there ever been an [insert Apple product here]-killer that actually came along, lived up to the hype, and "killed" said Apple product?

Many will try, all will fail. If you set out with the mission of trying to best an existing product, my opinion is that you've already doomed yourself to fail before you've even started. If Sprint, Nokia, Dell, Gateway, LG, Samsung, Sony, and all the other tech companies would just do market research, conduct tests in usability, and simplify their devices, they'd actually stand a better shot of getting their products "up there" with Apple's consumer products... instead, they just shoehorn a bunch of half-assed features into their product and claim that it's going to kill the iPod/iPhone/iMac by virtue that their device now has more features than the Apple product, and we all know that people don't buy electronics based upon the sheer number of features they have.

I, myself, am a little disappointed about all the Android hooplah and rumors of delays. I would love to see a viable competitor to the iPhone enter the market. It'd be good for both Apple and the competing company if the competing company put as much effort into real design and usability instead of focusing all their energies on studying Apple's devices and seeing how they can simply bloat their device to include more features than Apple's.

Why is it that you and I can see this, but not multi-billion dollar companies that spend millions upon millions in market research and degree-wielding HR?

Steve Jobs didn't go to business college to become what he is. I passion for companies to stop hiring degrees and start hiring people.

Why is it that you and I can see this, but not multi-billion dollar companies that spend millions upon millions in market research and degree-wielding HR?

Steve Jobs didn't go to business college to become what he is. I passion for companies to stop hiring degrees and start hiring people.

Didn't Jobs drop out of college? :p

It's ironic -- the "leaders of the free world" when it comes to computers (Jobs and Gates) both dropped out of college without completing a degree in anything.

Qion: The problem isn't that Sony etc. don't see it, it's that there are too many cooks. You have some designers, then the music part of the company tells them what they can't do with the music software, the digital camera guys tell them how they can't make a phone a better cam than a consumer cam etc., etc., etc. - Then there's the release date given from the top and if you add it all together, it's the user interface nightmare that modern mobile phones usually are.

It's ironic -- the "leaders of the free world" when it comes to computers (Jobs and Gates) both dropped out of college without completing a degree in anything.

This is precisely why I'm stunned at the massive importance put on college education in fields that don't require a huge amount of factual knowledge. Doctors, lawyers, auditors, etc. need this sort of factual knowledge, but do artists? Do entrepreneurs? NO, and that's been described by the countless self-made millionaires that tell the preexisting corporations to shove it.

Rawrr.

Qion: The problem isn't that Sony etc. don't see it, it's that there are too many cooks. You have some designers, then the music part of the company tells them what they can't do with the music software, the digital camera guys tell them how they can't make a phone a better cam than a consumer cam etc., etc., etc. - Then there's the release date given from the top and if you add it all together, it's the user interface nightmare that modern mobile phones usually are.

If they really "saw" it in the way that Jobs does, Sony would start firing some cooks. It's this sort of mismanaged corporate suit-wearing bullshit that prevents the creatives of a company from doing their jobs.

Well, I hope more company's try to make the iPhone killer because that will make Apple run for their money and what that means is that Apple will have to make their product better. The more compitition, the better product we get for a cheaper price.

Lets be honest here, the iPhones battery SUCKS! that is one more thing that needs improvement. Thats the one thing that will make blackberries win the business market. Without trying to preserve battery on my phone and just with regular use, my battery lasts 13 hours.

Back