San Francisco fun

didde

Registered
Hey all!

My employer finally decided to send me to the WWDC in S.F, C.A this June / July. Yeay!

I have only been in S.F. once before and it was only for a couple of days. So, now I'm wondering if anyone out there has any good tips on what to do, what to see, where to eat etc. I'm open for suggestions as I'll be in town until the 14:th (July!) so I'm looking to kill some time there :cool:

Coming from Sweden I'll be pretty jetlagged for the first couple of days at the WWDC though... :(

Thanks!

Lucky you! :)

Eat lightly for a few days before the flights, wear loose and comfortable clothing in the plane, walk around, drink a lot of water (bring your own 2 litre water with you so you don't have to ask for the water all the time in hte plane. I have a bottle of gatorade on ong haul flights with me as well, so would the food be something I can't eat at least I can have somehting) and go light on alcohols etc.
People adjust to time zones differently, so it might be the Sweden > PST time (9 hours difference) would not feel that bad than the way back. Sleep on the plane if you can, then just 'continue the day' on the local hours once you arrive - that works pretty well. (You'll crash teh first evening).

If you have travelled a lot and that above has nothing new, just enjoy SF! I wish I could suggest some places to see, but I haven't been there ... yet. Enjoy!

Jet lag from Europe can be worked out if you prepare about a week ahead of time. If you want Jet lag then try some of my trips, to Japan from America and back. Talk about jet lag, I actually loose days ... literally. :(

Have fun and be safe.

Hey didde,
First, i'm extremely jealous that you are going to both SF and WWDC! I loved SF when i was there, its american enough to be intriguing but european enough to not be too alien. By way of food, i'd just wander round the chinese district (i hear this is the biggest chinese community outside china) and look for the places with the worst typos on their menus, the seemed to have the best food, my experiences of this sort were without doubt the best chinese food i've had.

On the jet-lag front, Gia's advice is all great. Just a few extras care of my father, who does lots of business travelling.:

Gia mentioned comfy clothes and pelnty of walking, but also take your shoes of when you sit down, and if possible don't sit in the back of the plain since there is less oxygen there, which can make you feel less good and sleep worse (which makes jet lag worse).

Like gia said, stay up till the people around you are going to bed if you can, and when you go to sleep you may want to take some melatonin. Its available from chemists/pharmacists and is very usefull stuff. Its a chemical your brain uses to tell itself whether its day or night. If you take some before you go to bed, you essentially reset your body clock to the local time, which really reduces jet lag. (info on melatonin at http://www.melatonin.com/ )

Oh and if you want to experience a bit of US culture, go see a baseball game. The SF Giants play at their new PacBell park, which i'm told by my californian friends is a lovely stadium. Even if you find the game confusing, its a fascinating experience.

Lastly, have fun and report back here after!

I live in Oakland and work in SF.

Things I'd suggest doing:

1. Great restaurants in Mission/Dolores area (I like a crepes place called Ti Couz.) See the Mission Church while you're there -- oldest building in SF. Next to Dolores Park which has a great view of the city from the hill.

2. Take the F street car if you get a chance. I'm not talking about the Cable cars -- the F street cars are from cities all over the US and the world, so you never know which one you'll get.

3. You'll probably want to hit North Beach (Italian) and Coit tower.

4. SF Museum of Modern Art (not far from Apple Store) is worth a trip, and is near the Sony Metreon which might be something you're into.

5. Go to the Exploratorium if you're into technology.

6. Farmer's Market / Ferry Building at Embarcadero (on the Bay) weekends.

And yes, Pac Bell Park (er, SBC Park) is fantastic.

I could go on, lemme know if you want more info.

Back