SATA Drives

jwennet

Registered
Hello, this may sound like a really stupid question, but does it make a difference in system performance if the start-up drive is in the upper or lower bay?

Recently added a Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm, 16MB cache 400gb drive to my G5 (dual 2ghz), and it seems like it's running a little slower, and the fans are much more active. Ran diskwarrior, apple utilities, applejack and did permission repairs.

Think switching bays would help?

Thanks,

J

not really. if you just installed this drive and the os on it, chances are spotlight is indexing, which makes things run slower, and makes the fans come on as well.

Thanks Sinclair,

How long do you think it takes spotlight to index a 400 gig drive. Installed it on Sunday- about 3 days ago. Doesn't seem to be any indication that it's still being index.

Thanks,

J

Did you first reinitialize the drive when you installed it? Also make sure any drive you put into a G5 the drive jumpers is set to "Cable Select". The position of the drive does not make a difference.

Satcomer said:
Also make sure any drive you put into a G5 the drive jumpers is set to "Cable Select". The position of the drive does not make a difference.

sata drives don't have that option, they are each on a separate mother board connector, unlike ide or scsi which can have multiple drives per mother board connector. thats why they have faster bus speeds, there is only one driver per controller and interface. the first true plug and play hard drive.

What kind of 400GB drive is it? I mgiht be on my 2nd bad WD. Did you install the drive by just placing it in the B slot or did you screw it in?

Back