SATA Wire Trouble in shipping!

IceDigger

Registered
I just bought a power mac 2.5ghz dual processor on ebay and on the way to me in shipping the 2nd hard drive came loose and tore the plastic sata plugs for the sata cable and sata power cable out of the 2nd drive and those little plastic guides are now stuck in the sata plugs in the mac.

I tried using a pin to get them out but its not working.

Any suggestions or any idea where to buy new sata plugs? It looks like I could use any old pc sata cable but the power plug looks totally different.

SATA drives have two power plugs: the new SATA power plug, and legacy 4-pin power plugs like with parallel ATA drives.

Yes, you can use any old SATA cables, although I would recommend contacting the shipper and the shipping company and explain what happened to them -- surely you insured the computer for shipping, and this kind of damage should be covered by that insurance.

The guys at the mac store couldn't get it out and said the cables had to be replaced. The cables are cheap $20 but they said it would take a couple hours labor to replace the cables since they would basically have to take apart the whole power mac just to get them to where they are supposed to go at $100/h.

Back