save dialogs: what should be done:

bolindilly

John Galt Member
ok, you know how if you control-click a folder in the dock, you can navigate your hd through that type of menu? well, they should, FOR SURE, add the same thing for save and open dialog boxes when the column view is collasped/closed. i love how little space the dialogs take up when that whole column view thing is closed, but rarely do the options they have there fit where i want to save my file...

there seems no con to this solution. don't get rid of anything, just add the functionality. they already have it built in, kinda, for the idisk in that situation. what do you guys think?

matt

i'm not quite sure what you mean, but this should go to another forum... (moving it...)

I don't quite understand your idea, but I'll agree that something must be done about OS X's open/save dialogs. As of now they're just god-awful!

I think the OS 9 list view open/save dialog was just fine the way it was. All this high-tech column-view non-keyboard-responsive crap is just silly.

- Brian

Isn't there a 3rd party util that does this already? This is not something that IMHO is really needed to be native in the OS. And to get all the different save/open behaviors to work reliably with this function? Each programmer seems the have their own idea for the File save/open. That's one of the major diffs between Cocoa and Carbon!

Sucks not being able to confirm new folder creation & name with Enter.

Damn Apple. Why did you that this out?

The only thing that I dont like is that most apps dont remember the save location. You could argue that this should be a feature of the software, but given the amount of hassles software hsa with this, it would be nice if it was ant easily accessible tag in the OS

In windows, most apps do this and I am pretty sure that it is a call in the OS.

It's funny you mention that about the apps remembering the save location, byronw70. I remember several years ago, when I was mainly using PCs and Windows, that I wished the Windows programs would remember the folders I last saved in, LIKE THE MACS DID!

Incidentally, I think all of the Mac software I use regularly remembers the save location, Safari, Photoshop Elements, iApps, Mail, MSOffice, etc. What programs don't remember?

Doug

Add to the list that the "Save as" dialog box doesn't do anything to warn you about long file names until AFTER you click "Okay" - unbelievable that Apple missed that one - usability 101! What am I supposed to - count characters manually?

Is there a way to get save dialogs to behave the way they did in OS 9? That is, is there a way to up/down folder levels the old OS 9 way instead of the collumn way (which I can't get used to) that is being used now?

Back