Saving files on USB disk - extra associated files?

One Sick Puppy

Registered
When I save MS Word documents, or other files, on my USB flash drive, and I then put the drive into my Windows computer, I find there are some other files with similar names, but different extensions. Obviously, they are hidden mac files, but do I need them and why does the mac create them? They barely take up any space, but I find them annoying.

The .DS_Store files are used by the Mac OS Finder to store the View settings for a folder. They will be recreated the next time you look at the files and change any view settings. If you don't like seeing them, don't access the flash drive with your PC. :D

Also, for each file, there will be a duplicate file much smaller in size that starts with a period. This, I believe, is the "meta-data" that OS X uses to identify the files with certain applications.

perfessor's right, there's nothing you can do about it.

isn't it possible to modify the hiding file-type list in XP? Maybe you can add ".*" into it and get a touch of unix feeling on your windows box ;)

Hold down simultaneously the Command, Option and Control keys while you drag & drop a folder onto the Chop application icon: it will delete all the invisible ".DS_Store" files enclosed in that particular folder and its subfolders. You can find Chop here:

http://www.zenonez.com/chop/

Back