Saving Terminal settings

iluvosx

Registered
Hello folks,

In Terminal, we can save the Terminal windows that we have opened as a document and make them all open up on next launch.

In the days of OS 9, remember we had this great app called Better Telnet which used to save the windows - and additionally, we could set up a script/command to be executed when the session is opened. For example, I used to have some 5 windows open up on launch and each would telnet and connect to some remote server. So I know that once I launch the app, I am connected to all remote machines of interest and all set.

Can I configure Terminal to do the same thing ? Or is there any alternate OS X app which has this feature ?

Thanks.

When I first saw this question I said to myself "Yeah duh, just choose Save All Windows as a .term file and then open it later". Imagine my surprise when doing that only saves the open windows, but not the apps the shell windows had open! How is that at all useful?!

So, I was thinking, you might want to try playing with AppleScript, making something like
tell application Terminal to activate
tell application Terminal to "ssh server.com"

I have no idea if that will work, but you can give it a shot. Have a look at the Terminal scripting dictionary. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll try to work something out for you...

Back