Saving to PDF problems

artistscottuf

Registered
I have a MacBook with OSX 10.5.8 and I also have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.
I'm trying to print and then "save to pdf" for certain pages of pdf in Safari. I have Adobe Acrobat 9 and installed the 9.1 update (this did not solve the problem).

I get an error message that says "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

When I follow the instructions and save the PDF to my desktop, I try the same process in Adobe Acrobat and get the same message. I open the pdf, go to file-print, click the pdf button, choose "Save as PDF" and I get the same message: "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

I tried reseting safari and setting my preferences to default.

I know there is a problem just like this that happens with snow leopard. I have OSX 10.5.8. I can't find a solution anywhere. It's driving me crazy.

That is the correct function for Adobe when you print a PDF. It is the printing program that allows you to save as a PDF, not Adobe software. You can save to postscript or fax the PDF, but you only save PDF's in Adobe's File > Save option.

I'm trying to print and then "save to pdf" for certain pages of pdf in Safari. I have Adobe Acrobat 9 and installed the 9.1 update (this did not solve the problem).

Several things:
  • Adobe Acrobat is a product family, not a product. For Mac users, the Adobe Acrobat family includes the Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 application suite and the free Adobe Reader 9 PDF viewer. Which one are you using?
  • Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader are at Version 9.3. This is a free upgrade from Version 9.1. You should perform this upgrade.
  • Adobe includes a PDF print driver as part of the Adobe Distiller application included with the Adobe Acrobat Pro suite.
  • The Adobe PDF print driver is installed like other print drivers. It has its own File/Print... dialog box. The MacOS X print to PDF function is accessable from every printer's File/Print... dialog box.

I get an error message that says "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

When I follow the instructions and save the PDF to my desktop, I try the same process in Adobe Acrobat and get the same message. I open the pdf, go to file-print, click the pdf button, choose "Save as PDF" and I get the same message: "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

Have you done what the error message says to do? That is, select "Save" from the "File" menu?

It sounds like you're trying to do this from within the Print dialog box. The error message is telling you that if you're viewing a PDF and want to save the PDF, then you DO NOT select "Print" from the "File" menu and select "Save as PDF." The correct way, if you're viewing a PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader/Professional is to select "Save" from the "File" menu.

Back