Screen Disabled while Installing Windows 7

Motive

Registered
Hi,

I have a late 2009 model MacBook Pro, and I'm extremely happy with it. Lately though, I've had the need to create and use a Windows partition to natively run apps that don't support Mac OS.

I've used the Boot Camp Assistant and created a Windows partition, and I have no problems booting up, holding down ALT and selecting the Windows CD. However, once I select the windows CD to boot to, the screen shuts off (Apple light on the back as well). There are still audible hard drive and cd sounds, so the computer is still on and, presumably, working.

I've taken the time to verify that the CD I'm using is bootable (tested in another family computer, running Windows 7, a Dell), so it's not the CD itself.

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks,
Fabian

Where did you get that Windows 7 installer? Did it come with your Dell? A Dell OEM disk will not likely work, and would violate the Windows license associated with that disk.
It should be a full install, and not a Windows upgrade disk. Look at the disk label and tell us what is printed there.

It's a retail copy of Windows 7, not OEM. Completely separate from the OEM copy on the Dell I tested this separate disk on.

If it helps, I was able to successfully install (with this same CD) a few months ago.

Are you saying that you installed Windows 7 with this same CD on this same MacBook Pro a few months ago?

You said that you tried to boot up the Windows installer from the boot picker (the Option or alt key). That should work, but what happens if you run your Boot Camp assistant again, and insert the Windows installer and restart when Boot Camp asks for that restart?

Yes, I installed Windows 7 with this same CD on this same MacBook Pro a few months ago.

And the same thing happens, regardless of whether I let it boot from the BootCamp Restarter, or the Alt/Option-picker on startup.

Have you changed the RAM memory in your MacBook since it was new? If yes - how long ago was that change?
Do you have a MacBook Pro with dedicated video RAM, or a model with shared video memory, such as the 13-inch, or the 2.53 GHz 15-inch.
Do you know which vid card you have?

Have you tried your hardware diagnostics yet? You can boot to the test by restarting while holding the letter D.
Try both the standard test, and the extended test.
Do you get any results codes? (other than Passed)

I haven't changed the RAM in this MacBook, or any other hardware for that matter. As to the specific model, it's the 17", with the nVIDIA geForce 9400M and 9600M GT in it.

I've run the standard test and I get an all-ok result. I'll run the extended test as well shortly and update this thread with how that goes.

Edit: Haven't run the standard test yet. I did however, re-run the boot camp assistant and selected the option to boot from the CD. The system restarted and I did get the CD to load, the display turned itself off as usual for a few seconds, and then turned itself on. The contents of the screen, however, are blank.

Last edited:
Do you usually have an external display attached to your MacBook Pro?
Any other external devices?
Try resetting the power manager: Shut the power off. Leave the power adapter connected. Press and hold control-option(alt) and left-shift. Use the keys on the left side of your keyboard. Then briefly press the power button. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to restart your Mac.
If that doesn't help at all - watch your screen carefully when it goes black. Shine a bright light into the screen, if you have one. Do you see any video elements (text/icons/menus, etc), so that you have video, but the backlight is just turned off?

I've finished running the extended testing, however, there are still no problems found with my hardware.

I do have an external display that I use with this MBP, but I disconnect it for the purposes of installing the new OS, on the chance that it could interfere. (I've attempted it with the monitor as well, no luck) The only device connected to the MBP while attempting to install is the power adapter.

I also reset the power manager, however, that didn't work either. I don't have a bright light but I studied the screen very closely and didn't see much of anything. It's possible I missed it though. The behavior is consistent with the backlight just being stuck off.

You didn't recommend this but I ended up resetting the Mac's PRAM or NVRAM as well with no luck.

I also tested the same procedure with a Windows XP disk I have, with the exact same results, so it doesn't appear to be a Windows 7-specific issue.

I'm completely stumped at this point.

Boot to your original restore DVD, and run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Select your hard drive from the list, and try the Repair Disk button. (not Repair Disk Permissions).
If you run that test, you will also know that your MacBook Pro is still working properly from that install disk.
Because you have tried 2 different Windows install disks, with the same result - I suggest that you call AppleCare with your question. Be sure to tell them that you have sucessfully used that same Windows install disk before on the same Mac.

Back