Screen

MACKONG

Registered
My friend has a g4 he has been useing the screen he had from his g3 but it fryed itself he then got a screen from his brother simler to his old g3 (not flat sceens) but it fryed itself . can anone tell me what could cause this to happen
thanks

If it's one of the older bondi-blue colored or graphite colored Apple-branded VGA displays, this is a known problem.

If they are not Apple-branded G3 or G4 VGA displays, what brand are they?

Apple replaced both of my graphite 17" VGA monitors even though they were out of warranty in 2001, and they've worked perfectly since then.

I simply quoted a KB article number to the rep on the phone, and they shipped me a box to ship the monitors back to them free of charge. The whole exchange process didn't cost me a dime, except in gas to drive to FedEx to drop the monitors off.

I can't find a lick of information on this subject now -- it's commonly known as the "pop-dim-zoom" effect on these monitors (a loud pop sound, followed by the display dimming, then slowing "zooming-in", and then the picture snaps back into place -- in advanced stages, the monitor refuses to work at all, or stays dimmed and zoomed for extended periods of time).

I'm hoping someone here remembers which KB article I'm talking about -- it's a defect in the manufacturing (not Apple's fault -- it's Mitsubishi's fault, who supplied the "guts" of the monitor to Apple) so it should be repairable for free even though the monitors are WAY out of warranty.

Any help, people? ;)

Thanks bob -- I'm assuming since these monitors are over 6 years old and the last I heard of the program working was in 2002/3, they've since discontinued the repair program. There's only so long a company can support a product, and monitors seem to have a much shorter life than computers.

In reality, there wasn't really a "program" at all -- Apple never announced that they would fix the monitors free of charge, nor were any notices sent out. If you knew about the KB article, you could quote it and get free/reduced-cost repair, otherwise you were S.O.L.

Back