Screensaver & desktop pics being WEIRD

Keldud7

Registered
Hi there. I just got a new powerbook...I tranferred my pics onto it and tried making my screensaver use the pictures folder I wanted to use. But it just selects the same 4 or 5 pics and repeats them over and over...Same thing happens with the wallpaper. Any thoughts/suggestions? I can't find any diff between the files. Thanks so much, have a gr8 day!

I assume your are running 10.4.x, right? So to what folder did you import all the pictures to? Did you put them into iPhoto (or do they appear in iPhoto)? In System Preferences did you select "Desktop & Screen Saver" and in the System Preference did you select 'Library SlideShow' (after making sure the pictures you selected were imported into iPhoto)?

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm running 10.4. I imported the pics into a new folder I made which was under iPhoto Library. I selected "Desktop & Screensaver" in system pref, but I don't see a place to select "Library Slideshow." Where is that?

I went and moved all my pics into the iPhoto Library folder and now I have an option in the system pref (Library, Last roll, Last 12 Months). But it won't let me put add my pics to the iPhoto Library...won't let me import them into the actual program. ???

are you saying that in iPhoto, if you use the "command + O" keys you don't get a finder window where you can browse to, and select your photos?

Hi there. I didn't use "command + O." I can select my photos but only a select few show up in the actual screensaver. Do u think it could be how the files were transferred? I used a jump drive. And some of the pics look to be deformed for lack of a better word, just towards the bottom of it.

a random question: Is there such thing as a firewire cable with the same looking ends? I know that's a way to transfer files, but I don't think I have the right type of cable.

Yes. There are two kinds of plugs for FireWire 400 (known just simply as "Firewire"): 6-pin and 4-pin ( http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000165AS0.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg The small is "4-pin", the larger is "6-pin" ), and you will find plugs with one kind, or the other, or one one each end.

If you'e transferring files from one Mac to another, you'll probably use 6-pin to 6-pin.

Also, FireWire 800 (which is faster, but is newer, and used in much fewer devices) has it's own plug: ( http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002JFOV4.01-A2R0FX412W1BDT._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg the bigger one is the 800 end )

Does that help?

Yes, thank you. I got the 6-pin to 6-pin firewire today and transferred a bunch of files. It didn't let me transfer my mp3s tho, or I didn't do it right (prob the latter). Any suggestions?

What format are the images?

If iPhoto won't add the photos to its library (beware, you have to add it through the program, not just by dropping the photos into the iPhoto Library folder in your Pictures folder in your Home folder), chances are the images are either corrupt or of a non-standard type. They should be JPEG or TIFF files most of the time.

As for the MP3s, you definitely did it wrong. If you boot another machine in target disk mode (holding down 'T' when it's restarting, with the FireWire cable in), there are no restrictions on what you can do with the files on the machine from the other machine.

Back