Screenshots of longhorn

vanguard

Registered
Ok, I know this is "mac" os news and rumours but a lot of people around here still have an interest in what msft is doing.

Here are some pictures.

http://www.tech-critic.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=358&mode=&order=0&thold=0

My opinion, they seem fine. I kind of like OSX better and I have a preference for unix. So I'll probably stick with apple. (Now if only their notebooks came with three mouse buttons.)

Vanguard

PS It's important to note that the UI will probably change before anything is released. Still, this is what it looks like now.

It does seem to be fairly interesting. One thing that I like is the taskbar with the label "Desktop 1"

More than one desktop?

Originally posted by Ricky
Apple starts another trend of including codenames in the final releases.

Uhm, yeah. Silly Microsoft copying Apple again.

That explains why Windows 95 was Chicago, 98 was Cairo, 2000 was Memphis and XP was Whistler.

All Microsoft OSs have codenames. Blackcomb is after Longhorn. Neither make much sense so I doubt they'll be debuting on the final product.

One thing is certain though. Longhorn is going to give OS X a run for it's money and Blackcomb is going to crush it.

I'm not saying that based on screenshots either. If you read about the technology going into both OSs, they are rather quite amazing.

Itanium, Blackcomb has been scrapped, where have you been living these past year?

Longhorn will be out by the end of 2004. So long way to go, so these screenshots shouldn't even be considered worthy. But they are real shots.

Originally posted by ManicDevlin
Itanium, Blackcomb has been scrapped, where have you been living these past year?

Longhorn will be out by the end of 2004. So long way to go, so these screenshots shouldn't even be considered worthy. But they are real shots.

Who said Blackcomb is scrapped? Longhorn was originally intended to be an upgrade to XP.

Now it has taken on a life of it's own and will probably be an intermediate release between XP and Blackcomb, like ME was to 98 and 2000.

Microsoft has pushed the release date back and focused on developing it more because of the flack it's getting from the Department of Justic. I think they're being very careful to comply with the DoJ wishes, or at least appear is if they are.

As for the screenshots, I don't think they're real. Similar pictures were presented months ago with that funky taskbar and were later discovered to be fake.

Dood, wake up, BLACKCOMB HAS BEEN SCRAPPED.

Longhorn will be the next OS, and THERE WILL NOT BE AN XP SECOND EDITION.

And the shots are real, there are even VIDEOS of this build, just to prove newbies like you it's real.

And the people who leaked this build ARE MS employees, they will release the leak to the public, but not now, cause it's frankly too dangerous. That is why they made a mistake posting these pictures. I think they did it because there was alot of fake screenshots going around, and they wanted to shut up those sites which were promoting fake shots to get site popularity.

Dood, wake up, BLACKCOMB HAS BEEN SCRAPPED.

Where does it say Blackcomb has been scrapped? Also, why would a MS employee risk their job with screenshots that show the build #, making it easy to trace back to them?

Anywhere that is a reputable windows news site. And this story might be archived by now. I guess you missed it.

It's not that easy to track, but if they release the build, they can, screenshots is not as dangerous as leaking a build. They will release this build when a new one comes out i guess.

Anywhere that is a reputable windows news site. And this story might be archived by now. I guess you missed it.

Show me a site where it says Blackcomb is scrapped.

you obviously do, man, otherwise you wouldn't be preaching about it.

Umm.. last I heard blackcomb wasn't scrapped... just pushed back. Blackcomb was the OS that they were going to put the DB based file system in wasn't it? If so that OS is still in development as far as I know.

But on to more important things... namely getting a enlarged copy of that bluejeans.jpg file...

For what it's worth (from a mac user) When I was looking for extra screen shots earlier today I saw some source that Blackcomb was scrapped... I'll look again to see if I can find it.

Anyway. I'm not too impressed with the screenshots but considering it's still in early development, a lot is sure to change.

Blackcomb lives! If it had been scrapped, I would have felt a great disturbance in the force.

I wish Longhorn looked more professional and less like a cartoon.

I tried out Windows.NET RC2 and it was McCrappy. I'm running OpenStep 4.2 right now since it's the closest I can get to OS X on a PC. :p

Damn it Apple, release my 1GHz iBook already!

The similarities between OpenStep and OS Xare amazing. Services actually serve a purpose in the OS and NetInfo is the devil.

The spinning wheel of death doesn't actually spin forever and when you enter the wrong information at the login prompt, it shakes just like in OS X!

I'm amused by the littlest thing obviously. :)

If OmniWeb was a little more stable, things wouldn't be half bad.

I don't know why people let this platform die yet strive to keep BeOS alive. Oh well. Peace-out!

Find it yourself, I ain't here to prove you anything. Do you think I give a damn, if you are not convinced?

Um, YEAH - you do give a damn, so much so that you INSIST on post this universe-changing important information, even when you are banned - create another account to continue...

I don't know if you've noticed, but we - even the ones that DO use and have PCs, don't really GIVE A DAMN about information that comes from you, because those of us who do - already have this information hours/days/weeks before you hear about it!

If you search The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk - you'll find that Longhorn was planned to be an update to XP, that Blackcomb should have had the filesystem-is-a-database feature and that this feature has become its own project that might or might not make it into Longhorn. Whether Blackcomb is scrapped or not doesn't really matter: It's either pushed back or scrapped (or doesn't make sense anymore now that Longhorn is going to be a full OS upgrade and the new filesystem will be implemented at some yet unknown point).

About 'the-os-after-longhorn-will-crush-os-x': Do you really think Apple has no plans for Panther AND what should come after it?`

But as the feature set of Panther isn't known as of yet, it's clear that we just can't make statements like that.

Can anybody explain what the benefits to msft's "filesytem is a database" system will be? It seems like most of the advantages (like being easily searchable) can be achieved through indexing without the performance hit.

Anybody want to give an explanation a try?

Originally posted by fryke

About 'the-os-after-longhorn-will-crush-os-x': Do you really think Apple has no plans for Panther AND what should come after it?`

But as the feature set of Panther isn't known as of yet, it's clear that we just can't make statements like that.

What did Jaguar introduce? Nothing much. 150 fixes to a 2 year old OS. iChat and an Address book. Cleaned up code and QuartzExtreme. It's where 10.0 should have been. What will Panther introduce? Probably a Journaling FS. Great, OS X definitely needs one. Shutdown improperly and you'll see why. MS has had a Journaling FS with NTFS for quite sometime now. Linux also has serveral different Journaling FS without a performance hit. What's the big deal?

The big deal is basing an OS on UNIX is that UNIX is 30 years old and really hasn't changed that much since then. Yes, Apple can slap on a pretty GUI and produce iApps until the cows come home but the UNIX core is going to hinder them in the future. It's going to take Apple a lot longer to develop new technologies for OS X thanks to it's UNIX core.

Just look at their Journaling FS. 10-15% performance hit, rediculous! OS X is a great OS but they're just going to run into walls in the future because of the way they've implemented certain things today. Running it ontop of a HFS+ file system was probably their first mistake. A CISC-optimized Mach-O ABI probably doesn't help as well. They can't change their UNIX core now without breaking compatibility so they "patch" the OS and take a performance hit. This will be a continuing trend for OS X in the future.

As for Longhorn and Blackcomb. I guess I feel these OSs have more potential to grow. They will be implementing new technologies that have been years in the making. Apple on the other hand is still trying to smooth out the wrinkles.

I think Apple is going to spend more time in the future patching their problems with OS X rather than actually innovating.

OS X is a great OS. I just think it's 14 year shelf life was rather optimistic. Future MS OSs just seem more promissing to introduce new technologies.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Back