Screenshots of longhorn

did anyone happen to save any of these images of longhorn? because they are all pulled now. I was curious to see them.

Originally posted by itanium
Uhm, yeah. Silly Microsoft copying Apple again.

That explains why Windows 95 was Chicago, 98 was Cairo, 2000 was Memphis and XP was Whistler.
Yeah, but did they ever put those codenames on the box? Or mention them anywhere in the software? And now that Apple has done it, they decide that it's cool, so they do it too.

Originally posted by Ricky
Yeah, but did they ever put those codenames on the box? Or mention them anywhere in the software? And now that Apple has done it, they decide that it's cool, so they do it too.

Uhm, for one, there is no box. These are leaked pictures from a lab. Two, Yes, before XP was XP, the OS had Whistler written all over it. I don't know about 200, 98 or 95 because I never had the pre-releases of those. I assume they likely did as well though.

So no, they didnt do it because of Apple, they did it because typically standard. Even Office XP has a codename.

Originally posted by itanium
Uhm, for one, there is no box. These are leaked pictures from a lab. Two, Yes, before XP was XP, the OS had Whistler written all over it. I don't know about 200, 98 or 95 because I never had the pre-releases of those. I assume they likely did as well though.

Win2k was actually called NT 5. I have a beta copy of it from when I worked at NEC. Funy that I said back when 98 was coming out that it should have been called 2000 so MS didn't have to worry so much about meeting the deadline of the year name. Look what happened with 95. They almost didn't make it. :)

Yes, whistler had the name all over the OS, Early versions of 95 and 98 had the codename and build number displayed on the desktop... not sure about inbetween.

Really, who cares if it does or not? The OS runs exactly the same either way. it's a MS OS that doesn't look too bad (if you ignore how clunky and unorganized the taskbar appears) Other than the taskbar it doesn't look bad, although it's still nowhere near running on my machine of choice. :D

I think MS tries to please too many people and mistakenly lets the user create a horrible looking cluster of effects. Look at some of the pics in the previous link. The new taskbar along with the old is just downright wrong! Way too much screen clutter and too much screen realestate taken up to be useful.

Yeah it's taking too much space, like the OSX!

Btw, the sidebar and taskbar in longhorn is totally customizable, you can auto-hide it, you can make the taskbar integrate in the sidebar, whatever you want.

So MS pleasing everyone is a good thing, everyone can be happy with their own customized desktop.

Unlike some other OS'es :D

meh, doesnt look any better than XP, and unless it has a lot of useful features it wont be any better (ie any feature apple comes up with in the next 12 months that M$ copy).

and the bluejeans.jpg pic is from FHM a few months back, the woman is a page 3 model called ebony, and remebering this makes me feel rather sad.

Hmmm... i look forward to the OS, its always nice to try something new!

I REALLY hope M$ Clear up their icons though! Moving onto the Longhorn enhancements, the icons look Out of place, i'd prefer a less cartoony like feel, more like X.

The Multi Desktop thing looks pretty cool, similar to the Powertoys i guess, but it can be handy, nice to see it actually implemented, and usable 'out of the box'.

At The moment though, its SOOO early to judge any of this, its probable many features will Drop/alter and such as you're all aware. The Shots Remind me of Builds like 2250, where 2000 and Whistler Transitions made it seem like 'alternations' didn't fit, because it wasn't systemwide. I guess what i mean, is that underlyingly, it looks like Something Funky, Mixed with some crappier parts of XP! lol

nice to see the 'Green Eye' isn't around this time :D!

<< man i talk Crap!!! :rolleyes: >>

Neyo

Originally posted by ManicDevlin
Yeah it's taking too much space, like the OSX!

Btw, the sidebar and taskbar in longhorn is totally customizable, you can auto-hide it, you can make the taskbar integrate in the sidebar, whatever you want.

So MS pleasing everyone is a good thing, everyone can be happy with their own customized desktop.

Unlike some other OS'es :D

OS X taking too much space? you mean the menu bar?

BTW... the dock is customizable and auto hiding as well.

MS pleasing everyone is a good thing if you know how to change it. Many of these cutomization options are hidden where many people don't know where to look for them. Most MS users don't even know anything about customizing the interface. I do Tech support for a large ISP and work in IT for a bank supporting PC's. Most users freak out when the task bar moves to one side of the screen. Obviously they don't know where to find customizable options. The default display will have to be simplified greatly to become a workable interface for less intutative users.

You can argue the same point with OSX, but that does not discredit MS for attempting to make Desktop customizable. If people can't do even the simplest things on computers, then this is not MS fault, but the user which hasn't read any documentary or is new to a computer.

Also, you can't say these features are hidden, because we really don't know how these features will work and what new features will be added. MS tried to make XP as easy to use as possible, and in that war against OSX, MS won. So I can assume easily that Longhorn will be even easier to use.

Did you see MSN 8 or Media Center(Freestyle)? A monkey can use them with no problem.

Just when you thought they couldn't make Windows any more ugly, we present to you Longhorn! Its like Windows XP, only more ugly!

This was posted by shaurz on the tech-critic discussion concerning the longhorn images. I couldn't agree more!

Originally posted by ManicDevlin
You can argue the same point with OSX, but that does not discredit MS for attempting to make Desktop customizable. If people can't do even the simplest things on computers, then this is not MS fault, but the user which hasn't read any documentary or is new to a computer.

Also, you can't say these features are hidden, because we really don't know how these features will work and what new features will be added. MS tried to make XP as easy to use as possible, and in that war against OSX, MS won. So I can assume easily that Longhorn will be even easier to use.

Did you see MSN 8 or Media Center(Freestyle)? A monkey can use them with no problem.

Having used both XP and OS X I can say without a doubt that everything is easier to find in OS X. I've never used Media Center. I prefer Quicktime, the standard of media players.
For usability I've been judging off of previous versions of MacOS to previous versions of windows.

I'm sorry, there never was a "war" between XP and OS X that anybody could win. If so, it's still waging on. I find XP an abomination to use. To each his own, you like your Windows, I like my OS X. I have no desire whatsoever to use XP on a daily basis. You've publicly stated that you do like the OS X interface.

Mac user who doesn't like XP, or a Windows user that does like OS X? If there was any form of a war who do you think wins?

Blackcomb has been scrapped. Longhorn was originally supposed to be a point release to follow XP, however MS decided to synchronize their product releases like they did with the release of Windows 95.

Now, Longhorn will be NT 6.0. All features slated for Blackcomb will instead be included in Longhorn. The technology for the Yukon database file system will first appear in the next release of SQL Server. This will then be worked into Longhorn along with a bunch of other tech that's been in the works for years.

MS has always used codenames in their unreleased products.
And, I believe XBOX is an example of them using a codename as the product's final name.

The final Longhorn release will have little resemblance to what is shown in the screenshots that were distributed on the web. This is an Alpha build. MS always uses their previous release to test new features that will be in the new release. This allows them to do such things as develop and test out new technologies, APIs and interfaces with a stable platform while the low-level teams rewrite or improve things like the kernel. If you can find old screenshots of Alpha and early beta versions of XP, you will find that it looks like Win2k and even includes Win2k references and icons. UI and other visual changes, though worked on during the entire development process, are integrated into the OS late in the beta phase. Unlike the transition from Win2k to XP, which included many kernel and other improvements, Longhorn (last I heard) is supposed to be a complete rewrite of the OS along the lines of how NT was created from scratch during the Windows 3 timeframe.

Technology improvements for Longhorn include, but aren't limited to the Yukon DB file system, integrated .NET and conversion of many, if not all APIs to managed code, acceleration of GDI+ through DirectX, support for greater than 32-bit color, UGA, Palladium, IPv6 as the default (the stack is currently included in Win2k and XP), improvements to speech, handwriting and other UI technologies, greater UI customizability, more task-based interfaces, and more dynamic content provided to the end-user, and the usual things like greater device support, and support for emerging technologies.

You can find out some of the things going into Longhorn by looking at Powerpoint slides and other info at http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/futurepc/winhec2002/default.asp

Honestly it sounds like it will be a good OS. All the NTs are. I have had way more kernel panics with OS X than blue screens with NT or 2k. But I'm happier with OS X and will stick with it. Where Windows gets more and more intrusive, I feel more in control with OS X. Plus I do Unix admin, so I feel more at home and comfortable. That's about it. Both good OS's; whatever works best for you.

BlackComb has not been scrapped. IT is still being talked about by many reputable sites. I can tell you personally that ManicDevlin has a long reputation in Montreal as being full of sh*t so don't bother listening to anything he says.

There is still a plan for an XP SE, 2004 will bring with it the next major release of Windows.

And btw, my friend just started working for Microsoft so I can honestly say I'm much more credible than ManicDevlin who just assumes everything.

Forbes magazine ran one of the original stories regarding the shift from Blackcomb to Longhorn. This was straight from Gates and Ballmer.

Other sites have interviewed Windows dev team members that have repeatedly said there will be no point release to follow XP. Everything has shifted to Longhorn. Anything else is media speculation.

Longhorn is slated for a 2004 release.

Annihilatus, too bad that all my assumptions are from winbeta.org which consist of members who are EMPLOYEES of MS. And if you want credibitity proven, they were the ones who released the longhorn screenshots. Now be quiet.

Secondly, Rhino_G3

The comparison was based on an article I read in a reputable website, I don't remember which, but they compared both OSX and XP. They concluded that XP was easier to use, and I would agree on that.

Take this for instance, if someone was to upgrade from windows 95, 98, 2000 to XP would that person have less stress in compatiblity in hardware, software and usability then let's say upgrading from previous Mac OS'es to OSX?

Think about that.

Also, I think you don't know what Media Center is, it's not Media Player 8 the app. It's soft of a multimedia hub program that incorporates, picture viewing, TV viewing and recording, playing DVDs and watching downloaded movies, music listening, music recording...etc

This sub-OS app will be implemented in the Freestyle pcs such as the one from HP, Visar, but it still XP just with this additional add-on.

it was made with XML which is quite remarkable, you should see it to appreciate it. You can watch some previews of it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/mediacenter/evaluation/tours/default.asp

he OS has already been leaked by WINBETA. it's slated for release in december or so packaged in XP Media Center PCs.

Back