Screenshots of longhorn

Originally posted by ManicDevlin
Annihilatus, too bad that all my assumptions are from winbeta.org which consist of members who are EMPLOYEES of MS. And if you want credibitity proven, they were the ones who released the longhorn screenshots. Now be quiet.

Secondly, Rhino_G3

The comparison was based on an article I read in a reputable website, I don't remember which, but they compared both OSX and XP. They concluded that XP was easier to use, and I would agree on that.

Take this for instance, if someone was to upgrade from windows 95, 98, 2000 to XP would that person have less stress in compatiblity in hardware, software and usability then let's say upgrading from previous Mac OS'es to OSX?

Think about that.

Also, I think you don't know what Media Center is, it's not Media Player 8 the app. It's soft of a multimedia hub program that incorporates, picture viewing, TV viewing and recording, playing DVDs and watching downloaded movies, music listening, music recording...etc

This sub-OS app will be implemented in the Freestyle pcs such as the one from HP, Visar, but it still XP just with this additional add-on.

it was made with XML which is quite remarkable, you should see it to appreciate it. You can watch some previews of it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/mediacenter/evaluation/tours/default.asp

he OS has already been leaked by WINBETA. it's slated for release in december or so packaged in XP Media Center PCs.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Windows XP is easier to use, has better compatibility and upgradeability than Mac OS X?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

This a good! Very good!

JOKE THAT IS!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

One more time, Winblows users, giving us GREAT laughs!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Oh, will you ever stop? HA HA HA HA HA HA

Then again... Please continue to make us laugh: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Us? You include yourself in somekind of tribe, primate? How does Mac machines upgrade again? Throw away old mac, buy a whole new one? I see the sheer efficiency in that.

OMG!!! You mean people actually throw Macs away???!!! WHY???!!!

There's always someone that wants old Macs, nomater how old or how "underpowered"...

Can't say the same for PCs (I've thrown out about 4 PCs, and 2 more are being prepped to meet the dumpster soon.

PCs, especially today, hold up better than Macs. If you know how to upgrade, you save money, and don't have to throw away your PC for a while.

I have a P II 400 that runs XP just fine, in addition to my main system. I also have some Celeron 333s that run XP, Win2k and other OSes, as well as P 133s that run Win 9x. PCs are simply more econamical than Macs. You of all people should know this since you run Linux.

Originally posted by ManicDevlin

Take this for instance, if someone was to upgrade from windows 95, 98, 2000 to XP would that person have less stress in compatiblity in hardware, software and usability then let's say upgrading from previous Mac OS'es to OSX?

I have "upgraded" MS OS's and it is a total nightmare. Last one I did (and I mean "last" :mad: ) was going from NT 4 to 2k. Total freakin' nightmare, to the point that I finally wiped the drive and did a clean 2k install. Running fine ever since.

Originally posted by Tormente
OMG!!! You mean people actually throw Macs away???!!! WHY???!!!

There's always someone that wants old Macs, nomater how old or how "underpowered"...

Can't say the same for PCs (I've thrown out about 4 PCs, and 2 more are being prepped to meet the dumpster soon.

It's actualy been shown that Mac and Linux users keep everything till it's dead, rather than throw it away. There's always a good use for it. I remember seeing it in article sometime last week.

ManicDevlin, I've already stated the upgradability of a Mac... any upgrade you can do to your PC I can do to my mac. If you're really interested in learning the truth you might want to look for the post. I believe it might even been one of yours that you completely abandoned. You're as misinformed of the mac as you seem to think I am about the PC.

I really don't care to see facts from specific web sites stating the usability of one OS over the other. No matter how much we try to be free of prior judgment, as humans it's impossible. Most people have never used a Mac but have used a previous version of windows. To them XP would be worlds easier to use than OS X. I can find usability reports that state OS X is easier to use than XP. It goes both ways. I commented on what I have seen in my experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, do you remember when win2k came out? The windows compatability database for 2k was extremely small. I do know, I had to build computers for our networking lab here in school and make sure they would run 2k reliably. On the other hand, OS X will run on any G3 Macintosh. Every computer built since `97. and even a few more desktops that push back to around `95. There aren't too many people that want to run OS X on a 7 year old machine.

Originally posted by n4cer
PCs, especially today, hold up better than Macs. If you know how to upgrade, you save money, and don't have to throw away your PC for a while.

Not necessarily. Often if you want to upgrade the CPU, your motherboard won't handle the newer one, so you need a new mobo. What happens from there? If you had an older mobo (or proprietary one from a company like Compaq), you might need a new case as well. It adds up. I agree that it's much cheaper to upgrade a PC than a Mac, but neither lasts as long as most people think.

Can you make your own Mac machine? No

Can you change every part of a Mac computer? No

Is Mac hardware cheaper than PC? Hell No

Is Mac as widespread as PC? No

Can Mac do more things than a PC? No

Is Steve Jobs a better person than Bill Gates? No

So how is Mac any better than PC? Steve's Answer:

By promoting dumbass comercials of drug addicts trying to explain why they switched over Mac.

I said any UPGRADE you can do to your PC I can do to my mac.

As far as pricing for mac components. IDE devices, SDRAM, PCI cards, USB & Firewire devices. Many seem to be open standards... Same price no matter what they go into.

In fact I have seen many users build their own macintosh. Given, it was with an apple MoBo. But it can be done. I've seen way too many people do it. Many do it in ATX cases.

You do seem to like to duck under sensitive topics, such as how you are wrong about Mac upgradability.

There was also another one too, which you didn't answer.
Originally posted by Rhino_G3

Mac user who doesn't like XP, or a Windows user that does like OS X? If there was any form of a war who do you think wins?

that was a very good, unbiased answer, manic. full of facts and solid proof.
macs hold their value much better than pcs typically do, just check ebay. a four year old mac will go for around $700.
why would you want to make your own machine?
why would you need to change every part of a mac computer? i've never had the need to do it to my mac. whatever i want upgraded, i upgrade.
there is no 'mac hardware'. hardware is hardware. apple doesn't create any of it.
so there are more PC owners than mac owners. there are more honda owners than ferarri owners, too.
take any typical know-nothing average joe and put them in front of a mac and then a pc. the iApp suite makes it certain that this know-nothing joe can get more useful things done than on a pc. and if you want to talk about power users, then you're comparing mac's unix capabilites with windows' abilities. so what if i can't download some obscure program? let's say i would want to, i fire up virtual pc and there we go.
i don't see what a steve jobs vs. bill gates confrontation has anything to do with anything, really. all i know is that steve jobs isn't in court re: violations of anti-trust laws.
so how are macs any better than pcs? steve's answer: regular people, not computer obsessed nerds can use them, and use them well.

Originally posted by hazmat
Not necessarily. Often if you want to upgrade the CPU, your motherboard won't handle the newer one, so you need a new mobo. What happens from there? If you had an older mobo (or proprietary one from a company like Compaq), you might need a new case as well. It adds up. I agree that it's much cheaper to upgrade a PC than a Mac, but neither lasts as long as most people think.

If you knew you wanted to upgrade the computer yourself, you wouldn't by a proprietary system. You can build a full PC from scratch using standard parts. That said, many off-the-shelf PCs don't use proprietary parts anymore due to the popularity of add-ons from different manufacturers, and the fact that it may be more expensive to use proprietary parts than to use the standard ones.

If you are smart about your purchasing decisions, upgrades to computers which include memory, motherboard, and CPU can be done for about $300. Even if you were to scrap every component and buy all new stuff, you can still get a very good system for $600 - $1000 -- still far cheaper and more performant than any Mac.

Apple is just like any other proprietary PC manufacturer. Using Specific cases and motherboards... everything else is standard, run of the mill, PC parts.

The majority of PC users do not build their own PC's, Giving them the same options we have with our Mac's.

Boi, it is kinda nice getting $600 to $700 from a computer made in '98. That's something that PC users aren't used to.

I said any UPGRADE you can do to your PC I can do to my mac.

When's the last time you upgraded your Mac's CPU without buying a new computer.

Apple killed the upgrade and clone markets. If you want to really upgrade your Mac, you must go to Apple.
This is especially true for Apple's main seller, the iMac.

still far cheaper than any mac? What about the CRT based iMacs?

The cheapest CRT iMac on Apple's site is $799.
The lowest price I stated for a full PC was $600. That price is still lower than the iMac, and even that price is well above what you can get a good full PC w/ larger monitor for.

Originally posted by n4cer
When's the last time you upgraded your Mac's CPU without buying a new computer.

Apple killed the upgrade and clone markets. If you want to really upgrade your Mac, you must go to Apple.
This is especially true for Apple's main seller, the iMac.

Well, 2 days ago actualy. I replaced my 350 G3 with a 550 overclocked to 650. I'm waiting until January to buy a new comp.

I have never went to apple for any of my upgrades. My video card came straight from ATI, my RAM came from Crucial, my DVD drive came from Comp USA, My HD's came from a local computer store, my Zip came from a Compaq that a friend had, and my processor came from Other World Computing.

Back