Screenshots of longhorn

I don't believe in its finished form. Especially with a 10-15% performance penalty.

Hopefully 10.3 will move away from HFS+ completely. There should be no performance penalty then.

Originally posted by itanium
I don't believe in its finished form. Especially with a 10-15% performance penalty.

Hopefully 10.3 will move away from HFS+ completely. There should be no performance penalty then.

JFS is there in 10.2.2, they have only made it a feature that htey are speaking of in 10.2.2 server however. Do you really believe that Apple would put an unredy hack to the FS as an advertised feature for a aerver OS? Also, I have enabled JFS on both my Macs and the performance hit is so negligable that I do not even notice it. That may be because I have a lot of RAM but whatever the reason the performance hit is overstated.

Remember, BSD uses RAM very aggressively and puts as much as possible there to avoid HDD swapping. The JFS will only cause a performance hit while you are hitting the HDD. SO it is not like the system in total slowed down 10-15%, only that the disk access has slowed down and I am not even sure that the % is verified. Let me state once more. I have noticed no huge performance hit. Don't overstate the issue.

Oh, and one final thing. JFS is not a hack to HFS+, it is built in. My understanding is that this is what it will be. It may become faster, but overall it is there for security of your data not speed. Same thing if youare running RAID5, you take a performance hit due to the parity striping, but overall your data is more secure in case of some sort of failure.

Uhh... i saw only this:

"VirtuaNews Message You have specified an invalid id, if you followed this link, please inform the webmaster here"

:?

i got the same from the link... regardless this thread seems to me to just be turning into a "my pc is better than your mac" war, and vice versa... *sigh*

So it goes like this...
Billy: I saw screenshots of Longhorn!
Sally: They're Fake.
Harry: No They're Not.
Mary: Microsoft is the $H!T. Their next OS will Kill OSX, whatever it is, even if it's a Wheaties box with a Microsoft logo on it.

Back