SCREW Epson - Printing To Unsuported Printers!

... that, in my opinion, is what those &%$"¤"$ at epson are after: they want us to buy new printers. we ought to all go out and buy from another company. this is the kind of marketing that should be left to bill gates... *sigh* :)

download the most similar driver to your printer, you might have to do some research.
cntl click the package & show its contents.
open everything in textedit, then do a find&replace to substitute your model, ie sp1290 for theirs- sp1280.
open the further plugins,plists etc, and change.
save everything, make sure you rename the files also.
then you should have a driver for your printer.

In the finder, all I can see is the "contents" folder, and its dimmed. In the terminal, I can see all the files, but bar editing them with emacs (which I cant start to use), its not much use :(

TIA,

Kinniken

Tried giving everyone every rights and removing all the privileges (on all the items, not just the plugin), didn't change a thing.
That app looks pretty useful though :)

for some reason relogging did not.
Well, so I changed all those 'SC680' to 'SC600'... but my printer still shows up as unsupported :( (even after restarting)
I couldn't open the plugins files (either in textedit or in bbedit); could that be the problem?

TIA,

Kinniken

You have to open the plugin's files by "show package contents" to edit them...

Nick
(don't hold your breath....)

I have heard of people creating their own drivers in Ghostscript. Can someone please explain what would be required to create a Epson 670 driver for OS X?

hadn't noticed the plugs are packages themselves... lol, will I find more packages in them?
As for holding my breath... I'm not. Actually, if doesn't work I might make a script automatically printing from classic acrobat reader any PDF files dropped in a folder... and then use "print as PDF" in OSX apps. Not great, but could work.

Kinniken

Originally posted by theCaptain
I have heard of people creating their own drivers in Ghostscript. Can someone please explain what would be required to create a Epson 670 driver for OS X?

... what's ghostscript? i'd love to be able to get a driver for my 670... captain, if you write one, could you send it to me? i'm not much good at scripting, and i've tried manipulating the driver for the 680, but it just crashed my print center ... :(

If someone can supply me with a little assistance in how to go about writting a driver, I would be happy to send you one. I experienced Print Center crashing as well after I manipulated the 680 drivers. Dont worry I will get to the bottom of this.

that would be great! no more printing in classic!
printing is the one thing left that makes me start up classic, so ... i hope you succeed... :)

Quite honestly, I have been very impressed with Epson. They are one of the few companies that is actually making an effort to update drivers for OS X. The CS 670 is a damn good printer. Yeah it might have cost like 50 dollars, but that was a bargain. If I had paid like 600 dollars for a high quality photo printer I be happy to know that Epson is making it a priority to support those printers first, although it would be nice of Epson to possibly create a whole division devoted to OS X support.

Where is are good man Csoledade, we need you my man! Tell us about Ghostscript and what we can do with it!

hey Captain

are you using the 3000dv with OSX? if so, how is with it running on that??

i have been thinking about getting one of those and was wondering what the performance was compared to Apple's 5400rpm drives.....

thanks

Let me tell you my good man Yanges it is one of the best purchases I ever made. The drive works beautifully and is extemelly fast. I have all my DivX stored on there and I have a lot of backed up data and OS 9.2. I strongly recommend picking one up. I am honestly thinking of getting another as mine is almost full.

I tried making a SC600 driver from the SC680, but my printer still shows up as "unsupported". sight.
Anyone with any idea is welcome.

Correct me if im wrong but I don't think the 680 and 600 are in the same printer family. If you are going to alter printer drivers they need to be in the same family of printers, an example of this would be the 670 and 740, very similar modles. Also in order to properly alter a driver your Hard drive has to have a UFS [Unix File System] format.

Printer families, i think, are not defined by similar model numbers (eg 640/740). I *think* a clue to printers of the same family can be found with printer cartridges. The only one I have in front of me is for the:

Stylus 740
Stylus 740i
Stylus 760
Stylus 860
Stylus 1160

or am i completely off base here?

nick

Back