Script to turn off Flash?

zeke_mn

Registered
My sons are addicted to casual online games, Extreme Blast Billiards, etc. I would have hoped they could monitor themselves but they can't. They waste a lot of time on these. Is there a way to temporarily disable Flash on Safari and Firefox, perhaps with an easily reversible script? I know there is a Firefox extension to do this, but they simply disable the extension.

Thanks,
Frustrated Dad

Safari AdBlock http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/
You could use that - give it custom filters. So e.g. a custom filters for *.swf and *.flv will block everything with flash.
You could give the same rules for Firefox adblock extension.

But I guess need to find some way to prevent them from touching the extensions or even preferences...

Make sure your kids don't have admin accounts but normal or parental control enabled. Sounds like limiting their daily login time wouldn't be a bad idea either - even if they have to do their homework on the Macs, they still should ration the time with it. Limiting their total max time per day (e.g. not allowing to log in with that account after 10 PM etc) they'll have to learn to make the important stuff first.

Managed account with parental controls would enable you to limit their total time - e.g. 3 hours per day on weekdays and 5 on weekends, and/or no access outside specified hours. So worst case if there isn't an easy way to make sure they can't disable the extensions, they can't spend too much time with the games if they need any real work done.

You could also temporarily remove the Flash plugin. This has the advantage of working with ALL browsers, and it's easily reversible. Here's how:

• In the Finder, open Mac HD, then the Library folder, and then the "Internet Plug-ins" folder.
• Make a new folder. Let's call it "Disabled Plugins".
• Drag the "Flash Player.plugin" file into your new Disabled Plugins folder.
• Quit any browsers that are currently open and reload them. Flash will no longer work.

To reverse the process, simply move Flash Player.plugin back to the Internet Plugins folder, and quit your browsers again.

These steps assume that you're using an administrator account. Also, it's important that your kids' accounts are NOT administrators, otherwise they'll be able to reverse it easily.

My sons are addicted to casual online games, Extreme Blast Billiards, etc. I would have hoped they could monitor themselves but they can't. They waste a lot of time on these. Is there a way to temporarily disable Flash on Safari and Firefox, perhaps with an easily reversible script? I know there is a Firefox extension to do this, but they simply disable the extension.

Thanks,
Frustrated Dad

Sound like you would be the perfect person to use OpenDNS.com. They have video explaining how to block customizable sites and your kid will never know what hit him since no software is loaded on your Mac.

Plus you can use the built in Parental Control to set time limits too.

Last edited:
Have you tried disciplining your kids?! (I've got a daughter, so no hypocrisy here.) Disable their computer time if their grades start slipping. Pretty simple.

Thanks for all your ideas. I do use OpenDNS but the problem there is that these games and sites are all over the web. I blocked games sites through OpenDNS but there are so many that not all sites are tagged by OpenDNS. Also, I have Tiger not Leopard so my parental controls are limited. Perhaps that is a reason to upgrade. And yes, of course I have disciplined them (taken away the computer, etc.), but eventually they need the computer for homework and I refuse to run around the house being a policeman (although I occasionally monitor the router log just so they know I can watch them).

Moving the plugin sounds most like what I am after.

Thanks again.
Steve

Okay, now for some helpful advice from me. How about using the built-in parental controls on Mac:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/parentalcontrols.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2033322_set...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Give your kids their own, non-admin, accounts, and turn on the parental controls. You control what apps they can run, files they can see and directories they can access. You can also monitor the websites they visit and act accordingly.

Whithin safari you can limit the websites they visit.

All this might be a bit draconian, but these tools are available to you if you choose to use them.

Or even just limit the time they can spend on the computer (again, parental controls with the OS). If they have to do their homework, they better get that done first - and then use whatever remaining time of allowed computer time for their surfing and other needs.
And if they can't self-moderate themselves to do homework first, then tough luck, I'd go for even less time on computer in that case... or less other toys.

I found a better solution, I think. I found this piece from Arstechnica. After enabling access control lists, I used the chmod +a command to deny read permissions for the Flash plugin. It works great, but my hope is that my tactics will motivate my boys to use Leechblock as a self-monitoring tool.

Thanks again to all.

Steve

Back