SCSI on 10.4

Fran

Registered
I have an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card in an 867 G4 Quick Silver. It works fine in 10.3 but causes a kernel panic on boot if anything is connected to it in 10.4.

The last Adaptec driver is from 2002.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks.

Fran said:
I have an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card in an 867 G4 Quick Silver. It works fine in 10.3 but causes a kernel panic on boot if anything is connected to it in 10.4.

The last Adaptec driver is from 2002.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks.

There seems to be a solution on the front page of macfixit today - http://www.macfixit.com

What is the solution? can't access it macfixit... a promising listing requires paid registration...

This is from MacFixIt;

Adaptec SCSI fix Several users have reported issues with Adaptec SCSI cards after updating to Mac OS X 10.4, including an inability to recognize SCSI devices, problems starting up or shutting down with the card installed, and more.

A workaround, successful for many users, involves removing the following files from the /System/Library/Extensions folder:

• Adaptec 290X-2930.kext
  • Adaptec 29160x.kext
  • Adaptec 39160x.kext
  • Adaptec 78XXSCSI.kext
but leaving the file

• Adaptec 78XXSCSI.kext
in place, then restarting.

MacFixIt reader Steve Morris writes:

"I left Adaptec78XXSCSI.kext as the only SCSI Adaptec driver (had the newest date) and that restored my 2906 card and scanner. Also now when I look in system profiler, I see one UMAX Scanner in the Parallel SCSI device tree not multiples I had seen before."

Other SCSI issues Despite success of the Adaptec workaround above, various SCSI devices are still causing major problems with Mac OS X 10.4 including problems installing the OS, starting up, shutting down, or using other devices. If you are having such problems, disconnect any SCSI devices or SCSI PCI expansion cards and check for persistence of the issue.
=====================================

I'm running an Adaptec AVA 2906 on a dual 450 G4. It works just fine; no problem at all. The machine is also supporting 2 internal SATA 250 GB drives and two internal EIDE 250 GB drives and 3 other external 1394 drives. I didn't mess around with any files. It just runs like a champ.

The only problem is Epson's Expression 636, which doesn't function without a third-party app. I use SilverFast AI.

No problem with SCSI and 10.3.9

I'll check 10.4.1 and let you know.

Pish

Back