Scud?

nkuvu

Gone
So does anyone know if it is possible to change the SCUD (Spinning Cursor of Death :) (Yes I know the acronym doesn't work. Humor me.)) to something else? How would I do this if it is possible?

Why would you want to change the Colorwheel of Delay (aka COD)? It's much prettier than the old black'n'white hourglass thingy.
In fact, if I were still using psychedelics, I would probably try to cause a COD, just so I could watch it spin!
;)

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Why would you want to change the Colorwheel of Delay (aka COD)? It's much prettier than the old black'n'white hourglass thingy.
What computer did you used to use? The hourglass is a Windows thing.

Originally posted by MDLarson
What computer did you used to use? The hourglass is a Windows thing.
No, I wasn't talking about that Windoze hourglass. I meant that black'n'white circle divided into 4 quarters. If you use your imagination, it looks kind of like an hourglass.
:p

The answer you are looking for is: no you can not change the spinning disc cursor. It is hard-wired into the kernel itself; that's why it can be seen immediately as you start to boot up.

Actually, I take that back: you *can* change the cursor, but you'll have to manually find the image in hex code, CAREFULLY overwrite it, and pray there isn't some kind of checksum on the kernel that detects changes like this.

Regardless, the simple answer is still no.

Neither do I. I was referring to the fact that one can use IE (briefly) to see an example of the black-and-white spinning disk.

So the SCUD is like the bong. It's hardware stuff? Which brings me to another point. On an old machine, is the older bong overwritten with the new one when you install os 8? Because that's the OS the new one came in..

Also, musically, if you play the old one, then the new one in sequence, it's a perfect cadence! Go Apple for that one.

Okay, let's get the facts straight here... :)

The startup chime (bong? :p) is indeed hard-coded in each computer in the ROM. Installing a newer or older operating system will not change it. On the other hand, the "scud" is all done in software, namely the Mac OS X kernel. You'd never see that cursor in OS9 because it doesn't exist there. FYI, yes, it is certainly possible for Apple to change the cursor in a future release, but I doubt they will.

The speaker shown above is not the same as the one in OS9's speaker setp in the Sound control panel. I do not know what it could be for.

The black and white "beachball" cursor (that is the correct name for it) is very different than the "spinning disc" cursor (again, that's the correct name. Get it right!). The beachball pops up when a poorly written Carbon app gets stuck in the main event loop somewhere. The application is still technically responding properly, though. This is why you see it is IE but not many oter apps; IE is a ****-job of a terrible Carbon port using legacy event handling where it shouldn't.

The spinning disc cursor, however, is invoked by the kernel itself when it sees that an app has stopped responding to all user input for a period of more than 2 seconds. The user *should* never see this cursor with properly threaded apps, but as we all know, most developers don't thread their apps as much as they should.

The black and white "beachball" cursor (that is the correct name for it) is very different than the "spinning disc" cursor (again, that's the correct name. Get it right!).
Um, does it really matter? When I say Spinning Cursor of Doom everyone knows what I am referring to...
FYI, yes, it is certainly possible for Apple to change the cursor in a future release, but I doubt they will.
If it's part of the kernel then I could change it if I wanted -- I'd have to recompile the kernel, but this is not impossible -- just difficult. I wasn't asking if Apple was going to change the cursor. I wanted to know if I could change the cursor.

Thanks for the info on the Carbon apps.

If it's part of the kernel then I could change it if I wanted -- I'd have to recompile the kernel, but this is not impossible -- just difficult.

yeah yeah! do it! i m rooting for you! hehe. we have to figure out where in the kernel such a pic is stored...

Forget it. :p If you want to go around trashing your system that's your call. But I like the fact that my system runs perfectly well without me dorking around in the kernel. I am certainly not about to go editing hex code just to change the darn cursor... :)

But thanks for the support, anyway. ;)

Originally posted by lethe
:(
Why so glum, chum? :confused:

nkuvu:
I was just joking with the "get it right!" part. :p I've been stuck in debates on other forums with people calling in a dozen different names. I just wanted to toss in the "correct" one for the people who really don't know what it is (that is, an optical disc from the NeXT cube era).

Back