Seagate releases new HD technology

mdnky

[Bobs/Prog/Design:~] mod%
Staff member
Mod
Seagate Technology LLC has started shipping a notebook PC hard drive that overcomes an obstacle many feared would be a major roadblock to the further expansion of disk capacity — and the overall growth of the storage industry.

The new approach that aligns bits of data vertically rather than horizontally enables Seagate — and other drive vendors — to further boost the density of drives without increasing the risk of scrambling data.

The shift to perpendicular recording allows it to bump up the maximum capacity of its notebook drive to 160 gigabytes from 120 gigabytes.

Seagate plans to extend the new recording technology to other notebook drives, as well its 1-inch drives used in handheld gadgets and 3.5-inch drives for desktop PCs.

Perpendicular recording has benefits beyond boosting storage density by reducing the need for additional components, said Mike Hall, a Seagate spokesman. "If you can reduce the component count, you reduce the power drawn, you reduce the heat and you reduce the wear and tear," he said.

In the next three to five years, the new technology is expected to increase maximum drive capacities five fold, Hall said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060116/ap_on_hi_te/seagate_drives

Doesn't quite fit in the Apple News section, so we'll put it here in The Café.

Hopefully this leads to larger laptop drives and possibly some bigger iPod capacities (for the Video hungry ones)...once the price falls at least.

I hope we'll soon see PowerBooks with 120 GB drives and larger, because with _anything_ below 100 GB I'm constantly shuffling stuff on to external drives, anyway. I'm okay with it, basically, as it is, since I'm used to it, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it constantly. But I guess once I'll have a 120 or 160 GB drive in my notebook, I'll just fill _that_ and keep on shuffling... ;)

I don't care about 'em laws. I want a notebook harddrive with 1 TB space today for free and my notebook should have a screen with adjustable resolution (hardware adjustable!) from 1 to 1000 dpi! Its battery should last forever without recharging and its weight should be about 1.5 kg, because that's a nice weight for a notebook. :)

Sorry, but I wouldn't be interested in purchasing one unless Seagate featured a Jacuzzi with this HD. I mean, 160 gigs and NO Jacuzzi??? What a ripoff!!!

"for the video hungy"

i'm not being funny, but i can't fit all my music on any ipod, let alone my videos.i won't upgrade my ipod until they go past 100gb. iRiver's can have 160gb replacement drives in them, why can't we?

Lt Major Burns said:
"for the video hungy"

i'm not being funny, but i can't fit all my music on any ipod, let alone my videos.i won't upgrade my ipod until they go past 100gb. iRiver's can have 160gb replacement drives in them, why can't we?

Therefore.

The iPod is small, too small to fit that kind of thing. You could make a 500 GB iPod if you were willing to carry it in its own bag with an additional battery.

fryke said:
[...] and my notebook should have a screen with adjustable resolution (hardware adjustable!) from 1 to 1000 dpi

Are you kidding? I definitely need it to be photo quality, id est 9600 dpi. Until then, computer displays are a joke :D

ksv said:
How do people come up with this stuff?

Kind of reminds me (in an odd way) of the VCR/camera combo my father bought in the very early 80s. One of the first available setups for regular consumers, it had a video camera (that was huge) that connected via a cable to the VCR, which was carried in a pouch slung over your shoulder. About 30+ pounds of gear all together...just a bit over 20 years later he has one we bought him that takes outrageously better images for far longer, is almost the size of a can of beer/pop, and weighs a few ounces.

Back