secure web page won't display

DeltaMac

Tech
I have a client who connects to a government support web site. The https: login page will not display the login, but only displays a full page of garbage. If she holds the option key, and clicks on the link to that login page, it downloads the page. Opening that downloaded page shows the correctly displayed login page, but, of course, is not usable to connect to the rest of the site.
This client has recently added two Macs running 10.4.x (both at 10.4.9, I think), and is using the Safari 2 that comes with the system. She also gets the same result with a current version of FireFox.
Another Mac in the same office, still on Panther 10.3, enters the site as expected, no problems, using the Safari version 1.3.2 (whatever is up-to-date there)
None of these Macs have anything unusual added to the system, being mostly for data entry.
The IT folks for the secure web site choose not to provide any support to Macs, and, as I said, Panther is working to enter that site with no problems. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the Macs, other than the version of OS X - Panther works, but Tiger shows the page of garbage, with no login possible. No port settings, no firewall,etc.
Anyone have any idea what else to check?

What happens when you use firefox on the system that works oke with safari ? If still fails, most likely a problem with firefox, if oke, then most likely a problem with e.g. the java (or any other internet related) module with the newer versions.

Good luck, Kees

Back