security.plist GONE?

123walter

Registered
When I login my userid is blank. It used to have a name in it and all I had to do was type in password. I didnt like the userid that was setup for me, it was too long (my first name and last name) so I changed it to my initials which is also the userid for my dektops too.(Trying to simplify for networking)
After I changed my userid is when I lost it. Also at the same time I lost my desktop icons(Places) In other words, I still had connectivity with my ethernet machines, but I didnt know it. I finally went to "recent items" and was able to connect to them. This is the only way I can access them.
I have been led to believe by reading online that all of this tied to com.apple.security.plist. I DONT HAVE ONE? I looked everywhere. Also how does spotlight work? I dont think it works as well as "search" in windows. So I had to manually look, but its gone. How do you recnstruct this plist file? Should I? WIll I have to reinstall..yet again?(Done it 4 times since Ive had my MBP) Its only two weeks old.

Back