self duplicating jpeg

Greywood1862

Registered
I'm trying to help a friend who has a problem with his Mac. The way he describes it, he has jpegs that duplicate themselves when he clicks on them. I don't even know where to start with this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't even know where to start with this.
Me neither. We would probably need more information. What kind of computer? What version of Mac OS X? Does this happen in the Finder, in iPhoto, in Preview, in PhotoShop, or some other program? Or everywhere? What steps has he taken in order to troubleshoot the problem already -- in other words, what has he tried and what hasn't he tried? Has this always happened, or is it new? Does it happen with specific JPEG images, or ALL JPEG images?

Gonna have to elaborate quite a bit.

The only thing that springs to mind would be this: It's a script or app of some sorts that's merely *called* a ".jpg" file but opens as an app instead of with Preview or another picture viewer, then copies itself (and/or does other stuff!) and quits itself again.

The user should try openinig the file by dragging its icon to the Preview icon in the Dock (it's in the Dock either per default or at least after he's opened the Preview application).

Also, the user should "get info" on the file. (Click it once and hit Cmd-"i".) To see whether it's really a JPEG file or an app or anything...

Back