serious dsl slowdown

unispherephoto

Registered
so a couple days ago i started noticing a pretty obvious slowdown in my internet speed. according to bandwidth tests, all is fine, but im sure theres someting going on....any ideas? are there any obscure caches to empty that might help this?

What do you mean by slow? Do downloads go slower when you're downloading files? Or do webpages load slower?

Also, what DSL service are you using (provider, modem, router), and how is your network set up? What system software are you using (OS X 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3), and on what kind of hardware (Sawtooth, DA, MDD, QS, G5, iMac)?

Here's a fun little story, sorry but it's not helpful to you at all.

This was 4-5 years ago, at work we have a "business" class DSL service. But downloads were like 15KBytes/sec. That's maybe 3 times what I'd get on a 56K modem. So something was terribly wrong. Exhausting all my networking knowledge, we decided to call up our ISP. Here's what he had us do:

Unlpug the DSL modem from the wall outlet. From his end, he sent a high powered electrical "surge" (for lack of a better word) through our line but specifically the line for the DSL modem so not to fark up our phones. His explanation for doing this is that the heat from this power surge would burn off rust and dirt that maybe be stuck on the underground copper wires, thus interfering with the signal.

Well believe it or not, call it bull or bogus, but hey it worked. Now our downstream is upwards to 200 KB/sec. Personally I think they just had a bandwidth cap on us and made up this story to cover their butts.

unispherephoto said:
are there any obscure caches to empty that might help this?

If you are using Safari, then first, empty its cache, and delete the com.apple.safari.plist file from home > Library > Preferences. Second, reset Safari's history. Finally, quit Safari, go Home > Library > Safari, and trash the contents of the "Icons" folder. When this folder gets too large (say 1 MB), it can slow Safari down.

it's webpages that are loading slowly...line tests show that im still at about 1.5 mb/sec, and downloads seem fine. ive tried deleting caches and the plist, but nothings changed. the only additional thing im running is pithhelmet..but ive had it for a while with no problems.

The Ghost said:
Finally, quit Safari, go Home > Library > Safari, and trash the contents of the "Icons" folder. When this folder gets too large (say 1 MB), it can slow Safari down.

Hi Again unispherephoto:

Did you try the above?

Back